The Galaxy S Advance I9070 was released in February this year, being a mid-range to high end smartphone, though it has a big minus on its side: the Gingerbread OS. Unfortunately the ICS flavor was left aside, but Samsung did promise that a future update to Android 4.0 will be made available. So far there are no words about such an upgrade, a common fact when it comes to Samsung and its promises. Anyway, the company is coming with something though, as the official XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware has just been made available for the Galaxy S Advance handsets.
The ROM was offered only for the Nordic countries, so if you haven’t OTA receive it, you should follow this step by step guide which is unveiling the manual method for applying the XXLE2 software on your Advance. This is not the only firmware available for the I9070 smartphones, so you can choose from different ROMs, some official and some beta or custom. For more aspects, search for suitable tutorials through our search engine. Choose the software you like the most and stay close for further guides.
As already stated, the Advance is a recently launched device that comes with decent performances. Its specs are including a 1GHz dual-core processor, 768MB of RAM, a 5 MP rear facing camera and 16 GB of internal storage memory. It’s not a high end Android powered phone but it should please an entry level customer. Maybe, if the Ice Cream Sandwich OS were there, the Galaxy S Advance would be more popular among users worldwide. But, as Gingerbread comes pre-installed you should do updates in order to spicy things up a little bit.
As users reported, the stock ROM of the Advance was full of bugs and issues, so this new Gingerbread upgrade is well received. In fact the firmware will not bring new features and capabilities; its purpose is to resolve the problems. And from what we know the XXLE2 OS is quite good, being the most stable version available for the I9070 so far. This is the main reason why you should complete this tutorial and apply the already mentioned software on your smartphone.
Being an official release of the Android platform, by installing the same you will be able to regain the warranty (in case it was previously void) as the system will be relocked and the factory restrictions re-installed. Also, if your handset is rooted, the root access will be revoked if you flash the XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware on your Galaxy S Advance. For re-rooting you will have to follow a suitable guide for the new OS. Don’t worry as in the coming days we will bring such a tutorial too.
Now, let’s talk about other aspects, more important and relevant ones: first, about backup. Yes, you should perform this operation because you will manually update your Advance. As already mentioned, the ROM is available only for the Nordic countries, so if you live somewhere else, you will not OTA receive it. And with the manual procedure your personal data will be wiped out. For making a safe and proper backup I recommend you to use our suitable step by step guides (search for them through our previous posts).
After backing up the data from your Galaxy S Advance you must read and do the pre requisites from the following list. In this way you can prepare your phone and computer for the steps that will take you through the installation procedure. Don’t do things by yourselves as you can brick your phone and I know that you don’t want that to happen, so be careful in what you do with it.
- Charge the battery of your phone if there is less than 60% power left in the system.
- On the handset and also on your Windows running computer uninstall Firewall or any other antivirus because these tools can interfere with our work.
- For being able to connect the Andvance with the PC you must enable the USB debugging option from its settings: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
With that you can be sure that nothing bad will happen during the how to procedure. Read the steps and follow my explanations for properly apply the Gingerbread update. You will have to download, install and use Odin, so your job will be easy.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance I9070 with Official XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware
- Download the XXLE2 Gingerbread update file from here and save it to your computer.
- Also, download Odin.
- Extract Odin and run it.
- Reboot the phone for entering in download mode. You can do this by holding on the Volume down Key and Center button while powering on.
- Up next, connect the device with the computer via its USB cord.
- On Odin the ID:COM section should now be yellow.
- If not re-install the USB drivers and try to perform the steps from above again.
- From Odin, select “PDA” and then choose the file you downloaded in the first step.
- Finally, click on “start” and wait until the installation process is over.
- In the end disconnect the phone and that’s it.
- If something isn’t working, reboot and enter in recovery mode. From there select “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition” and then reboot your device.
And with that we are done. That wasn’t hard wasn’t it? Now, your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 should run the latest and official XXLE2 Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware. You can check if this is true from “Applications -> Settings -> About Phone”. Then, test the new ROM and see if the bugs were removed as promised by Samsung. Share your impressions with us, or the possible issues and we will try to help you out.