After the previous versions of the Android 4.1 OS have been made available, now another update has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy S Advance users. While the firmware has been rolled out in limited markets only, the latest Jelly Bean 4.1.2, dubbed as DXAMD1, software can be manually installed on all the Galaxy S Advance I9070 smartphones. So, during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to prepare the phone for the flashing operation, and then on how to properly apply the stock Jelly Bean ROM on your handset.
As mentioned the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 DXAMD1 update isn’t available for all the Galaxy S Advance handsets, so a manual method is being required for those who haven’t received the OTA (over the air) release by now. Also, if you have a rooted device, or if your smartphone is being installed with a custom ROM, then you will not be able to OTA apply the JB DXAMD1 OS. That’s why you need to complete this tutorial, which will easily take you through the update procedure.
The Android 4.1.2 DXAMD1 software is the latest stock firmware rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S Advance, meaning that the platform is stable and without bugs or issues. Furthermore, the update comes with minor improvements too, so there are also some new features and apps added (such as Multi Window capability) in the system. Also, don’t forget that there is better to apply the latest updates on your device for being able to receive the latest apps and tools available and also for resolving the previous bugs or issues then choosing to stay on out-dated firmwares or on custom ROMs.
Anyway, now let’s detail a little bit the aspects related to the present guide. For ensuring that everything will go as planned and for avoiding the unpleasant situations do check all the lines from below; don’t skip anything or else you can end up in bricking your S Advance.
- The warranty of your phone will not get void as this is an official operation (even though this is a manual flashing operation, you are still installing the stock DXAMD1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS on your Galaxy S Advance).
- You don’t have to previously root your phone; this method will work on both rooted and un-rooted devices.
- If your smartphone is rooted, now you will be able to un-root its system; this means that you will be able to restore its warranty back.
- Don’t worry, there will be made available new root procedures that can be safely applied on the new DXAMD1 software (we will update you with the same so stay close).
- Backup the Samsung Galaxy S Advance data before updating to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2. If something wrong happens you will have to wipe the system which means that you will lose your contacts list, the text messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings, market apps and everything else.
- You need to have access to a Windows running computer or notebook, to your smartphone and to its USB cable.
- You have to deactivate the security protection that is installed on both computer and handset because these programs are usually interfering with the flashing procedure.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option from your phone.
- Charge the battery of your device before heading to the steps from below; if your phone gets turned off while you are trying to flash the Android DXAMD1 firmware, you will also risk in bricking your Galaxy S Advance.
- This guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070; don’t install the DXAMD1 OS on a different device.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 DXAMD1 Firmware
- On your computer download: Samsung KIES, Odin and the update file (you can get the firmware from here).
- Then, first install KIES for flashing the S Advance drivers.
- Next, install and run Odin.
- Also, extract the update file preferable on desktop.
- Now, turn off your device as it has to be rebooted in download mode.
- Fore reaching download mode reboot by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Menu buttons at the same time.
- Connect your phone with the computer.
- Once you do that, on Odin the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM will be yellow or blue.
- If not you will have to re-install the drivers once more and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- If everything works as expected, then from Odin, select the “PDA” option.
- Pick the firmware file.
- Don’t make any other changes; the Re-partition box must be unchecked.
- Click on “Start”.
- In the end the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
In case Odin gets stuck:
- Close Odin.
- Disconnect the Advance from the computer and force restart your phone.
- Reinstall the drivers on the PC.
- Run Odin.
- Reboot the phone in download mode.
- Connect it with the PC via USB cable.
- Resume the rest of the steps from the update guide.
In case your phone gets stuck in a boot loop:
- Reboot it by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Menu buttons at the same time.
- The recovery mode menu will then be displayed.
- By using the same select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- And end the operation by choosing “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S Advance; now your device is being powered by the latest and stock Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 DXAMD1 firmware. So, test the new software in order to see how it performs 9or for comparing it with the previous ROM). Do share your impressions with us and with other users who might want to apply the above explained tutorial.