If you want to update your Samsung Galaxy S Advance to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and flashing a custom ROM is what you are looking for, then this step by step guide will be perfect for you. By using this tutorial you can learn how to install the Android 4.1.2 based Optimus Droid custom firmware on your S Advance, so for the proper update operation check and apply the next lines. Don’t skip sections for the guide as updating with a custom ROM is a risky and complex procedure.
The Optimus Droid software comes with not bugs or issues the platform being stable, so the same will smoothly work on the Galaxy S Advance. Furthermore, the ROM is powered by Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS meaning that features and apps ported from the mentioned system will be installed to your handset. Also, as we are dealing with a custom firmware, the Optimus Droid OS will bring extra features, capabilities and looks that cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean ROM therefore you will be able to power up and customize the performances of your Advance.
As mentioned, the present operation is complex and risky, though actually the update procedure can be easily applied. But, if you somehow don’t prepare your Galaxy S Advance properly for the flashing operation, then not only you will not be able to install the Optimus Droid Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM on your phone but you will also risk in bricking your device. Therefore, stick to the lines from below and don’t perform something by yourselves. Furthermore, take note that the Optimus Droid software has been developed and offered by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide.
In order to begin the installation process you have to first prepare your phone, and ensure other things too, or else you will not be able to safely update your Galaxy S Advance with Optimus Droid Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware. So, before heading to the proper steps take care of the pre requisites which are being listed below.
- First of all, you need to have a rooted smartphone; the warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do.
- If you will need to restore the warranty, downgrade / update your S Advance to official or stock Android OS.
- Then, after gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image on your phone.
- Backup the data of your handset; make sure you are backing up everything that is being saved on the internal storage memory (I recommend you to at least save the contacts, market apps, internet settings and EFS folder).
- Then, also make a Nandroid backup; in case something wrong happens and you cannot use the Optimus Droid ROM then you will be able to easily restore the stock OS.
- A computer, your phone and its USB cable must be near you.
- You must deactivate the antivirus and security programs that are running on the computer you will use and on your smartphone.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your S Advance by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- In case your device has less than 60% power left it might get turned off during the flashing operation and you will risk in bricking it; therefore it will be a good idea to charge the battery first.
- Be aware as this tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070; don’t complete the guide if you own a similar or different device because you will risk in bricking your phone / tablet.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Optimus Droid Custom ROM Firmware
- In order to begin, you first have to download the update file on your computer.
- The download link is here.
- Then, you need to place that file on your device.
- For that, you first have to connect your phone with the computer via USB cable.
- Then, copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded file from the computer to your phone.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off the S Advance.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Up, Menu and Power buttons at the same time; the recovery mode menu will be displayed.
- By using the recovery menu, select the following: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the recovery menu (the main one) by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Then, select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Just pick the update file and the flashing process will begin.
- When the installation procedure is over, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- The phone will reboot in normal mode and the Optimus Droid ROM will be displayed.
- In case you will get a boot loop instead, then you need to reboot into recovery once more; then select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” and everything should be fine.
Congratulation, your Samsung Galaxy S Advance has been updated with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based Optimus Droid Custom ROM Firmware. Test the new software and share your impressions with us; also do tell us how things worked for you and share the possible issues and problems by using the comments section from below.