If running on custom ROMs isn’t your thing, then you should always apply the latest stock updates on your Samsung Galaxy S Advance. In this way you can be sure that you are receiving a stable Android Jelly Bean experience along with the latest features, apps and capabilities available for the Android platform. What you need to know right now is that a new release of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 system has been OTA offered by Samsung for the Galaxy S Advance model number I9070, so during the present step by step guide I will show you how to manually apply the stock XXLPZ software on your phone.
Even though you will flash an official OS on your handset, you still have to be careful when completing this tutorial because a manual method will be explained which means that if you somehow manage to mess things up, then you can even end up in bricking your device. Therefore, do ensure that you check all the lines and especially steps from this guide; don’t apply things by yourselves, stick to my indications.
Anyway, the new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLPZ update has just been rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S Advance smartphones and the firmware is coming only to improve the previous release of the Android system. Therefore, the XXLPZ software is a minor update – don’t expect to receive important features and apps; in fact there are included mostly only bug-fixes, which will provide a better and more stable and fast Jelly Bean experience. But why to install the XXLPZ ROM on your S Advance you might wonder? Well, first because in this way you can improve the present variant of the OS and then because in this way you can stay in touch with the latest apps and tools.
Do remember that if you want to gain more power from your phone, or if you want to customize and optimize the stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS on your Galaxy S Advance, you then need to flash a custom ROM firmware on your handset. But for being able to do so you will first have to root your device and install a custom recovery image into its system which means that the warranty will get void – in case you do apply a custom software, then for restoring the warranty return here and complete the present guide for flashing the stock JB 4.1.2 XXLPZ OS.
Anyhow, completing a manual update procedure when trying to apply an official OS is being required if: your Samsung Galaxy S Advance is rooted or installed with a custom ROM – then the OTA Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLPZ firmware will not be received by your phone; or if the update hasn’t been yet received by your S Advance – we all know that the official or stock updates are being rolled out gradually and in phases so some users will receive the software sooner than others.
Anyway, as mentioned above, this guide is still risky; therefore, before heading to the proper guide, learn how to prepare your handset for the flashing operation that will follow.
- This is an official update so by apply the XXLPZ OS the warranty of your S Advance will not get void.
- You don’t have to root your phone for being able to perform this step by step guide.
- The tutorial is suitable with both rooted and un-rooted handsets.
- If your phone is rooted, after updating to stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware the root access will be revoked. If you will want to re-root your Advance, then use a suitable root guide that can be applied on the new ROM.
- A windows running computer, you handset and its USB cable will be required so ensure that you can access the same.
- There shouldn’t be any security tools and programs installed or running on your computer or smartphone.
- You need to go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” for enabling the USB debugging option.
- You should check the battery status of your device; you need to charge the battery if there is less than 60% power left.
- You need to backup the Galaxy S Advance data because if something bad happens, then you might end up in losing all of your personal info, accounts and data.
- It is recommended to save the contacts list, call logs, text messages, market apps, internet settings, EFS and calendar info (if needed save anything else you might consider).
- Remember that this tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070; the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLPZ OS has been officially released only for the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance I9070 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLPZ OS
- Download Odin.
- Download the update file from here.
- Download Samsung KIES.
- Save the files on your computer.
- Use Samsung KIES and install the S Advance drivers on your PC.
- Extract Odin and then install the program. In the end run Odin on your computer.
- Unzip the update file.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot by pressing on Volume Down, Power and Home buttons for entering the download mode.
- Connect your handset with the computer; use its USB cable.
- Take a look on Odin: the ID:COM section must be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If different, you will have to: close Odin and unplug the USB cord; re-install the drivers on the computer and reboot your handset into download mode once more; open Odin, connect the devices and repeat the steps from above.
- From Odin you then have to select the “PDA” option.
- Pick the firmware file from your computer.
- Leave the Re-partition box unchecked and don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on “start” – the update procedure will begin.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
- Note: if your Advance will get stuck in a boot loop, then you will have to: reboot into recovery mode by pressing on Volume Up, Power and Home buttons; from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; return to recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
- Note 2: If on your way, Odin gets stuck, you need to: close Odin, remove the USB cable, force restart your phone, reinstall the drivers on the computer, reboot your handset into download mode, open Odin on the PC, connect the devices and repeat the update procedure from the beginning.
Congratulations, you have finally completed the tutorial; you now know how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S Advance to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware by using Odin. If you have questions or if you have something to share with us or with other users that might want to complete this step by step guide, use the comments area from below.