The Galaxy S Advance is currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, but the previous builds of Jelly Bean are not quite stable. That’s why Samsung decided to roll out a new OTA update dubbed as XXLQG. Now, this new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update comes to resolve the reported issues, so the battery drain, heating and camera issues have been removed. Anyhow, if you want to test the Android XXLQG software on your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070, check and complete the steps from below.
This is the official release of the Android system, so for manually installing the XXLQG OS on your S Advance, Odin will be used. The tool has been developed by Samsung and it’s offered especially for these types of operations, so this guide is describing an official update method. So, consider the tutorial an alternative for the OTA mode. Of course the JB 4.1.2 ROM is also OTA available but only in selected markets and only for those who haven’t rooted their Galaxy S Advance smartphones. The other users will have to use this manual update operation, or else they won’t be able to flash the ROM.
As mentioned during the lines from above, the Android 4.1.2 XXLQG update is a minor improvement that comes only to remove the reported bugs from the previous builds of the Android platform. So, don’t expect to receive new features, apps or capabilities, though you will be enjoying a more stable Jelly Bean OS.
So, if you have decided to flash the software on your handset, first complete the pre requisites explained during the following list. Don’t skip this section as it is the most relevant part of our guide.
- Backup the Galaxy S Advance data. You see, after applying the OS, your phone might get stuck in a boot loop and if that happens, you will have to wipe the system, which means that your personal data and info might get erased. So, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations I recommend you to save everything you might need.
- If case your device is rooted and installed with CWM recovery, use the same and complete a Nandorid backup – you will be able to save / restore the current ROM.
- Don’t worry if your Advance is not rooted; this guide can be applied on both rooted and locked smartphones.
- Since this is an official updated, if you do have a rooted device, after installing the JB 4.1.2 XXLQG OS the root access will be revoked and the warranty restored (usually the warranty gets void when you gain root access).
- As you can already tell, Odin must be installed on a personal computer or notebook. What you don’t know is that you have to deactivate the antivirus and antimalware programs that are running on your PC.
- Also, because the installation procedure will take a couple of minutes to complete, you must first charge the battery of your phone (skip this if there is more than 60% power left).
- And because you will have to connect your Advance with the computer, first you have to go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
- It should be clear for you that this tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070 because the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLQG OS has been released only for the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLQG Firmware
- The Galaxy S Advance drivers are being required; so on the computer, before going any further install the same – you can use Samsung KIES for completing this task.
- Then, you need to install Odin on your computer; first download the tool and the extract and install the program. Also, launch Odin when done.
- Finally, download the update file from here; extract the package in desktop.
- Now, you need to turn off your phone because you need to reboot it into download mode.
- The Galaxy S Advance can be entered in download mode by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time.
- Connect your phone with the computer and take a look on Odin.
- You should notice the “added” message and the ID:COM section which now should be yellow or blue.
- If not, it means that Odin hasn’t recognized your device and that’s bad; you need to re-install the drivers for resolving the problem.
- If everything is working as explained, then from Odin you need to select “PDA”.
- You can pick the firmware file from the desktop now.
- Click on “start” for applying the update.
- The installation procedure will take a couple of minutes, so be patience.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You should unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
Note: if Odin gets stuck you need to close the program and unplug the USB cable. Then, force restart your smartphone and enter download mode once more. On the computer re-install the S Advance drivers and run Odin once more. Up next, resume the update process from above.
Note 2: if your phone gets stuck in a boot loop you will have to reboot it into recovery mode. The Galaxy S Advance can be entered in recovery mode by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time. Then, from recovery you will have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Return to main menu and select “reboot system now”.
So that was all for today. Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance has been updated to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLQG firmware so enjoy the same. If you have questions or if you have something to share with us, don’t hesitate and use the comments area from below.