Your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 can be updated with a new Galaxy S4 based custom ROM, so if you want to tweak your phone and customize its Android interface then you should learn how to install the new Extraordinary custom firmware. The software is powered by Jelly Bean 4.1.2, but comes with features imported from the Galaxy S4 system, meaning that you will update your Galaxy S with an SGS4 look-like OS. Therefore, test the Extraordinary custom ROM by applying the present step by step guide; just check the lines from below for further info and details about the same.
So, for now we make it clear that the Extraordinary ROM is not an official release of Jelly Bean for your Samsung Galaxy S. The firmware is a custom update that comes with custom features, apps and looks, so you will not flash the default version of the Android 4.1.2 OS on your Galaxy S I9000. Furthermore, the software is based on the Galaxy S4 system so several capabilities from the same will be ported to your device. Finally, I have to mention that the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 powered Extraordinary platform has been developed and rolled out by those of xda-developers, so we have them ton thanks for this tutorial.
This OS is stable so you will flash a bug-free software that will smoothly work on your Galaxy S. But for being able to begin the update operation you first have to prepare your phone. This is a complex method and if you somehow messing things up, your device might get bricked. So, for ensuring that the unexpected situations are being avoided, you should read, and apply when necessarily, the lines from the following list.
- The warranty of your Galaxy S will get void as you will apply an unofficial software into its internal system.
- The Extraordinary ROM is a free aftermarket distribution of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, meaning that you will update your S with a custom version of the Android system (a Galaxy S4 look-like one).
- You need to root your phone before starting to apply the steps from below. Basically this is why the warranty gets void.
- You can restore the phone’s warranty by downgrading to stock OS, or by performing a un-root procedure.
- After gaining root access, you need to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your handset.
- Before flashing the JB 4.1.2 Extraordinary custom ROM, make sure you check the others firmware that are being available for your device; just go to our “update Samsung Galaxy S I9000” section.
- Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone because a wipe will be required. By wiping the system you will be able to clear the cache; else the custom ROM will not work properly on your device.
- Anyway, save anything you need (like contacts list, text messages, call logs, EFS folder, market apps and so on) and don’t forget to apply a Nandroid backup too – for saving the current ROM.
- A computer and your phone’s USB cord are also required as you will first have to download the update file on a PC or notebook.
- That’s why you need to uninstall the antivirus and other security tools first (from both computer and Galaxy S).
- The USB debugging option must be enabled on your smartphone; apply the same by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Also, your device should have more than 60% power left, or else you will risk in bricking your phone (if it will get turned off while you are trying to flash the SGS4 based Extraordinary ROM).
This guide is suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000 as the Extraordinary custom ROM has been developed only for the mentioned smartphone. Therefore, don’t use this tutorial if you have a similar or different device. By using the guide on a different handset you will risk in bricking your device.
How to Update Galaxy S I9000 with Galaxy S4 based Extraordinary JB 4.1.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the required files.
- You can get the firmware file from here.
- And the Google Apps package from here.
- Then, connect your Galaxy S with the computer via USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and copy-paste them to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord; the computer is no longer useful.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it into recovery mode: press and hold Power, Volume UP and Menu buttons at the same time.
- Form recovery, as already stated, you need to wipe the system; so select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu and by using the same select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- First pick the update file and flash the Extraordinary ROM.
- Then, repeat the step and apply the Google Apps package on your smartphone.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy S has been updated with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. The ROM is based on the Galaxy S4 software, so features and apps from the same should be installed on your device. Test the new system and see how it performs; then return here and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.