Unfortunately, as you might know, the Galaxy S GT I9000 handsets will no longer receive official updates due hardware limitations, but fortunately we will always have the custom ROMs firmware. There are plenty unofficial updates available for your S (ICS and Jelly Bean based ones) several how to guides being explained here, on Android.gs; you can anytime check the same by heading to our Galaxy S GT I9000 section. Furthermore, during the present step by step guide we will be checking in how to update the Galaxy S GT I9000 to the latest Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS by installing the Codename custom ROM firmware into your phone’s system, so for the proper procedure, check the following lines.
The Codename Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update will bring the latest features and capabilities available for the Android platform on your Galaxy S GT, meaning that the performances of your handset will be powered up and improved. Also, you will be able to use your smartphone on its full power as its system will be unchained and opened for changes (mainly optimization and customization operations).So, if you want to obtain more from your device and also add some power to its system, then you are in the right place. This tutorial will take you through the installation procedure of the Android 4.1.2 Codename custom ROM.
The firmware has been developed and tested on a Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this step by step guide. Furthermore, there will be more versions of this upgrade released, meaning that you still have to look for improvements. To conclude, you must know that the Codename OS is not an official update provided by Samsung for your Galaxy S, therefore you have to consider this operation risky. So, be aware and try not to mess things up by completing tasks without consulting the tutorial explained here.
Now, for being able to apply the mentioned ROM on your phone you first have to ensure a few things. For example, you need to first root your Galaxy S. The Jelly Bean 4.1.2 platform can’t be installed on an un-rooted system. So, take your time and use a suitable tutorial for learning how to root the smartphone. Before you do that, be aware as the warranty will get void; for restoring the same you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM. After rooting, you have to download and flash a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your device. CWM recovery will be used for wiping the data and for applying the update file.
As we are talking about a wipe, it’s necessary to backup the data which is being saved on your phone internal storage memory. For that I have displayed the below list of tasks, from where you can learn how to backup and restore almost everything you need to along with the other essential pre requisites that must be performed before heading to the proper steps.
- If CWM recovery is already running on your Galaxy S GT, then you can use the same for backing up the current ROM; in case you manage to brick the Android 4.1.2 one, then you can easily restore the stock firmware.
- Next, you should learn how to backup the contacts, messages and call logs.
- Then, learn how to backup and restore EFS.
- Use a computer or SD card for saving other files, like images or videos, from your handset.
- Remember to root and flash a custom recovery image.
- On the computer you will use and on your smartphone uninstall the Firewall and antivirus protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your S device (from “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”).
- Charge the battery of your phone.
- Make sure that you are completing this guide only for updating the Galaxy S GT I9000 and not for similar Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Codename custom ROM firmware
- You must get the Codename update file and the Google apps package.
- The download link for the update is here and for the Google apps here.
- Save the files on your computer.
- The zip files must then be copied on your phone’s SD card.
- For that take the USB cable and connect the device with the computer.
- Copy both files and then unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off the Galaxy S.
- Reboot in recovery mode by pressing and holding on the Volume Up button and on the Home key button while pressing the Power one.
- From recovery, first of all complete the wipe (this is why you need to take care of the backup).
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to recovery menu by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Just pick the update file and install the same. Do similar for flashing the Google Apps package.
- Don’t make any other changes in recovery.
- When the installation process is over, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
You have successfully installed the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Codename custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000. You can now enjoy the latest Android features on your own device, so share your impressions with us and with other users as well. Also, if something went bad with the up-explained steps, share the issues by using the comments area from below and we will try to resolve the same.