Update Galaxy S GT I9000 to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Xylon Custom ROM
The best way for improving the performances of an Android based handset is by updating its system with a custom ROM firmware. Also, it is recommended to install only the latest and stable software because this is the only way in which you can flash the latest Android OS (a custom one of course) on your smartphone and also get the latest features and apps for your device. I will show you how to do the same for the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 handsets as during the following lines we will be checking on how to update it to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 by installing the Xylon Custom ROM firmware.
The Xylon platform is also available for the LG Google Nexus 4 therefore you will be enjoying a stable and smooth system that has no reported bugs or issues. The best part is that the ROM is coming with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS on board, so once this guide will be completed you will be able to test and run the same on your own Galaxy S smartphone. Also, it is recommended to take a look over the ROMs that are currently available for your phone in order to decide whether to flash the Xylon software or to choose a different update; so check out our “update Galaxy S GT I9000” section.
Now, as usual, the update has been developed by those of xda-developers, so first of all we should thank them for this opportunity. Then, you should not confuse this OS with an official one, as the platform has nothing to do with Samsung. That’s why this tutorial is being considered risky and complex, so you should be careful when installing the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S. Furthermore it is more than recommended to read all the lines from this guide, or else you will risk in damaging the internal system of your phone, or worst you can even brick your device.
When talking about custom ROMs, there are some aspects that must be discussed. Also, because of the same reason (we all dealing with an unofficial updated) before heading to the installation procedure, you first have to apply the pre requisites which will prepare your Galaxy S for the flashing operation that will shortly follow. Don’t worry, just read and perform the next lines and everything should be fine.
- In order to safely apply the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based Xylon ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S device, you need to first root your phone.
- The root operation will provide the required access to the internal system as the firmware will have to use and change some in built programs.
- Well, as you can already tell, by rooting the warranty will get void. You can easily restore it by downgrading to stock ROM, so don’t worry.
- After gaining root access you have to install a custom recovery image on your handset. This tool will be used on the update operation, so do not skip this step.
- Backup the Galaxy S data, or else you will lose all of your personal info including text messages, call logs, contacts list, internet settings, EFS and more.
- If possible make a Nandroid backup too as who knows maybe you will need to restore the current ROM if something isn’t working as expected with the new one.
Those wore the essential pre requisites. Next, we will be checking in which the general preparation tasks are. After that, the proper step by step guide will begin, so pay attention and perform everything as explained here.
- A Windows running computer must be used; ensure that Internet connection is enabled on the same.
- You will also have to use the Samsung Galaxy S and its USB cord.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone by going to the path: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- If on your handset you notice that there is less than 60% power left, go and charge your Galaxy S before updating to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS.
- Uninstall all the security tools from your computer and phone and deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection.
- Use this guide only for flashing the Xylon Custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S model number GT I9000; applying the next steps on a similar smartphone will brick your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Xylon Custom ROM Firmware
- From here download the update file and from here get the Google apps package; place the same on your computer.
- Then, after connecting your phone with the computer via USB cable, copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded files on your device (on its SD card).
- Unplug the USB cable as we won’t need to computer from now on.
- Turn off your phone and then reboot into recovery mode.
- The recovery mode on the Galaxy S can be entered by pressing and holding on the Volume UP, Menu and Power buttons at the same time.
- By using the recovery mode menu, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then, return to the main menu of recovery and from there now choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can now pick the update file and apply the same.
- Then, re-do the above step and also flash the Google Apps package.
- Don’t make any other changes; in the end just select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”, and you are done.
In case you get a boot loop, reboot into recover once more and re-wipe the system as showed above. Also, if you want to restore the old ROM, re-use the recovery mode and select the “restore” option (you can do this only if you have previously made a Nandroid backup). Finally, take note as the first boot of your phone might take longer than usual, but that’s a normal thing to happen.
So, there you have it: the how to procedure that can be used by those who are looking forward in updating the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 to Android 4.2.2 with the Xylon Custom ROM firmware. Do share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users who might want to apply this tutorial, by using the comments area from below.