The Galaxy S has been one of the most appreciated Android based device. That’s why Samsung decided to make the Galaxy S line its flagship carrier with the Galaxy S4 on top of all. Anyhow, since the Galaxy S meant so much for Samsung and for its users, it’s really unfortunate to notice that there will no longer be released suitable OTA updates for this handset. So, because of that, during the following guidelines I will show you how to easily update your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS.
Of course, we will not apply an official update, so a custom ROM firmware will be used instead. In order to make it clear, here is what you need to know: by following this tutorial you will learn how to install the latest version of Paranoid Android firmware on your Galaxy S. This variant of Paranoid custom ROM is based on latest Jelly Bean platform, so a custom version of Android 4.3 will be flashed on your device. This guide is complex and if you don’t follow my explanations you can end up in bricking your handset; so take your time and read all the lines from this step by step guide.
ParanoidAndroid is not the only Android 4.3 based custom ROM available for your Galaxy S. During our previous tutorials we have showed you how to install firmwares like: MacKay JB software, C-ROM platform, Avatar system, SlimBean OS or CM10.2 firmware. So, if you want to test something else instead of ParanoidAndroid, don’t hesitate and use the links from above.
Now, the best about ParanoidAndroid is that it is coming with an improved Android 4.3 OS that can safely be installed on the Galaxy S. The system is optimized and customized for running on the S as the platform has no bugs or related issues or problems. Paranoid Android has great looks, features and capabilities that will tweak your Samsung Galaxy S. That’s why this ROM is so appreciated by the Android community. Anyway, with Paranoid Android Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware installed on your Galaxy S you will be able to upgrade the speeds, bump the performances and also improve the battery life, so why not to try the same?
If you have decided to complete this step by step guide you need to know the following: this tutorial can be applied only on a rooted Galaxy S smartphone that has CWM recovery or any other custom recovery image installed. If not, before starting the procedure from below you need to gain root access and flash the mentioned custom recovery image. Be careful when doing so as both operations are unofficial ones. Because of that, the warranty of your handset will get void; restore the warranty by downgrading to stock Android firmware.
Good, so now you know that ParanoidAndroid for Galaxy S is working only if the phone’s system is rooted and installed with CWM recovery. Now, as a recommendation, you should save the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your S I9000. But why to do that? Well, when applying this Android 4.3 based firmware, the system will be wiped out and the cache cleared; so, everything that’s stored on the same will be erased or corrupted. That’s why you should backup the EFS folder, your contacts list, call logs, market apps and the phone’s current ROM by making a Nandroid backup.
Other than that, you still have to ensure the general pre requisites. The same are referring to the following aspects:
- A computer, your smartphone and its USB cable must be used on the flashing process; so ensure that you can use the same.
- This is a manual installation procedure, so it will be a good idea to deactivate the security tools from the computer before starting the update operation.
- Your phone must be connected with the computer and because of that on your Galaxy S, the USB debugging option must be checked; do that by going to path “menu -> settings -> developer options”.
- Your device must have more than 50% power left; if not, before going any further you need to plug in the charger.
- This guide will show you how to update the Galaxy S I9000 with Paranoid Android Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM. So, use the firmware only for the mentioned phone; else you can brick your beloved handset.
How to Update Galaxy S I9000 with ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.3 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer you need to have the ParanoidAndroid firmware and the Google Apps package (the same is not included on the update file – you need to flash Google apps separately).
- So, get the software file from here.
- Also get the Google apps package from here.
- Save these files on desktop and don’t unzip the same.
- By using the USB cable connect your Galaxy S with your computer.
- Then, copy-paste or just drag and drop the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Good; now remove the USB cable and turn off your handset.
- Reboot the Galaxy S in recovery mode.
- After that, from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Go back and select “advance” followed by “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery and choose “install zip from SD card” and then select “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Android 4.3 firmware file and flash the update.
- Then repeat the procedure and install Google apps package on your SGS I9000.
- In the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
Perfect, you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.3 firmware with ParanoidAndroid custom ROM. If you don’t like the new software, you can anytime choose to restore the old ROM – if you have made a Nandroid backup as recommended. SO, go to recovery mode and select “backup / restore” and flash the previous firmware back to your device. Anyway, test the new system, give it a try and then decide whether to enjoy the same or to try another update.