If Android isn’t enough for you and if you want to try something new for your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 handset, then the Flyme OS is what you need. The software is different from Android, so don’t expect to receive the same experience as the one provided by Google’s system. Also, the Flyme OS is still under development this being the 1.0.5 version, therefore not all is working perfectly on this new firmware. Anyway, if I have aroused your interest, during the present step by step guide we will be checking in how to update your Galaxy S GT to Flyme OS.
You should be aware because by updating your Galaxy S to Flyme OS you will not install a stable software on your phone. This is the beta version of the ROM therefore if you are planning to use the same daily then completing the tutorial might not be such a good idea. There are many bugs and things that aren’t working on this platform, though all the issues will be fixed as soon as a new variant of the Flyme OS will be released.
The OS has been developed by those of xda-developers and according to them there are problems with the WiFi, call recording, SMS, external SD card and more. On the other had features like Bluetooth, camera, or sounds are working perfectly. For the full list of things that are working and also for the full list of bugs and issues I recommend you to check our source page by using the link from here. If you do decide to update your Galaxy S GT I9000 to Flyme OS, then return here and resume the next lines.
Of course this is not an official OS, so it has nothing to do with Samsung. Therefore for being able to apply the software on your Galaxy S, you will first have to prepare your handset for the installation procedure that will shortly follow. The flashing method is similar with the ones used for applying custom ROMs, so you have nothing to worry about; the guide is easy to understand and to perform. Well, we should get started, so pay attention and try not to mess things up.
- Begin by backing up the Galaxy S GT data. First perform a Nandroid backup and save the current ROM; in this way if something bad happens or if you don’t like the new OS you will be able to restore the stock firmware.
- Continue the backup and save the text messages, the contacts, call logs, EFS and everything else you need to.
- Now, you need to root your device. Unfortunately you can’t update the S GT I9000 without previously root it.
- The root operation implies in voiding the warranty. Be careful and use a suitable guide for unchaining your phone’s internal system or else you will risk in bricking it.
- Install CWM recovery on your smartphone. This app will be used a little bit later when we will install the Flyme OS on your handset.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Galaxy S from “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Uninstall all the security tools (antivirus and Firewall protection included) because these programs might interfere with the installation operation.
- You should charge the battery of your device if there is less than 70% power left.
- Complete the tutorial only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S GT, or else you will brick your device. This method is being suitable only with the mentioned phone.
How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with Flyme OS v1.0.5
- Start by downloading the update file from here.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the handset with the computer.
- Copy the file from the computer and place it to the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn the Galaxy S off.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home key (the middle button) and Power buttons together.
- The CWM recovery menu should now be displayed.
- Select the following: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Wait until the system is wiped and the return to the main menu (“+++go back+++”).
- This time select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Just pick the file you have downloaded in step 1 and start the update operation.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have succeeded in installing the new Flyme OS v1.0.5 on the Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone. As already mentioned, the ROM is not stable so there are bugs in the system. The problems will be resolved as soon as a new version of the software will be made available but until then this is all we have for you. Do share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users who might be interested in flashing this firmware, by using the comments area from below.