The Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 users are really lucky as there are many ICS updates available for their handsets. Anyway, we are talking only about custom ROMs, or beta firmware, as Samsung didn’t offered anything official yet. But if you want to get the Ice Cream Sandwich flavor on your phone, you have all the required ingredients. For proper how to guides you can search through our “update” section and then select the Galaxy S GT option; you will then be able to choose the firmware you like the most.
Anyway, that’s not all, as a new custom ROM, the Android 4.0 based Tirami Slim, has just been leaked and it’s now available for updating your I9000 smartphone. As usual, I will be teaching you in how to flash the same, all being summarized in an easy to understand and fast to complete step by step guide. I will be showing you the pre requisites, the advantages that come with a custom ROM, the negative aspects and the Tirami Slim features list, so for making a background view about this OS upgrade I recommend you to check the following lines.
First of all you must know that the Tirami Slim firmware can be applied only if you have a rooted Galaxy S GT device. Furthermore the phone should run the XXJW4 operating system. If not go and gain root access and then return here. Before you do that, remember that once you apply the mentioned operation the warranty will be void. You have nothing to worry about though as by following this tutorial your handset will be in safe hands. Just don’t try to flash the ROM by yourselves. The warranty can be restored if you choose to apply the stock ROM (implies to do a downgrade), update with an official software (you will have to wait for that), or to re-lock the bootloader.
Another aspect that you must know before starting the proper procedure is related to the data stored on your Galaxy S GT. As you will see during the steps, a full wipe of the system will be required. So, you need to save your personal info first. I recommend you to do a backup. You can read this how to guide for learning more about this method. You can backup and then restore almost anything from your smartphone: messages, call logs, internet settings, contacts, images, videos, calendar info and even the market applications.
Now, let’s talk about the Tirami Slim Custom ROM. It is based on the ICS platform, so the Android 4.0 OS will be included. As usual, the firmware was developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so we have to thanks them for this how to guide. Being a custom ROM, the Tirmai Slim, will power up the performances of your Galaxy S GT by adding numerous features that can’t be found in the default version of the software. You will be able to customize and optimize the system, gain more speed, more access to the OS (it will be unchained from the factory restrictions), have an optimized RAM memory and a lot more. A new interface will also be included with new themes and background images. A more detailed list of the features can be checked below:
As promised in the introduction, I will now show you which are the pre requisites needed for ensuring that you do all the things in a proper way. If you skip this section, then you might encounter problems during the installation method.
- Remember to backup the data.
- Root your phone.
- Apply the guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphones.
- Make sure that you have access to a Windows running computer.
- On the PC and on the handset uninstall the security programs.
- Try to charge the device, or at least check if there is at least 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your I9000 “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
You can now start the promised guide. You will have to download a file, but don’t worry as it is a free distributed one. Then, you need to flash the same from your phone’s SD card, but more about this during the steps.
How to Update Galaxy S GT I9000 with ICS Tirami Slim Custom ROM
- Download the ROM and place it on your computer.
- Download link here.
- Connect the handset with the computer by suing the USB cable.
- Then, select the file you have just downloaded and copy paste it to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord and disconnect it from your Galaxy S GT.
- Turn the device off.
- Enter it in recovery mode.
- You can do this by rebooting while holding on the Volume Up Key and Center button.
- Once the recovery mode displayed you should perform the wipe.
- Select “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition” and then “+++go back+++” for returning to the recovery menu.
- Finnaly, select “install zip from sd card” and “select zip from sd card” and pick the ROM file.
- Tap “ok” and let the installation begin.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Let the phone to restart in normal mode this time.
That was the whole thing. Your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 is now powered by the latest ICS Tirami Slim Custom ROM firmware. The guide wasn’t hard, though there are a lot of stuffs to take care of. IF you had difficulties in completing the same, share the issues with us so that we can help you make it through. Also, tell us if there are bugs in the system, or how do you find this new firmware.