‘The Galaxy S Plus handsets can now be updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware as the CM10.1 M2 built custom ROM has been made available for the I9001 devices. As you know there won’t be any official Android 4.2.2 update released by Samsung for the Galaxy S Plus smartphones, therefore if you still want to test and run the latest Android OS on your own phone, then you should learn how to flash a custom software into its system; well, if you choose to follow and complete this tutorial I will show you how to easily install the M2 built of CM10.1 on your S Plus.
CM10.1 M2 brings the latest Android features and apps along with extra capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean system and now, all are being available for your Samsung Galaxy S Plus. By applying this custom ROM on your device, you will be able to power up the performances of your phone, customize the looks and improve the Android experience as a stable and smooth firmware will be installed. CM10.1 M2 comes with its own looks, features, apps, themes and capabilities, so the default version of the Jelly Bean touch will be replaced by the CM one.
Anyway, the best is that once you will complete this step by step guide, your Galaxy S Plus will be running the latest variant of the Android flavor, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware. But, in order to achieve the same you will first have to apply the steps from below. Make sure that you are reading all the lines from this tutorial because this procedure is complex and risky; if you install the CM10.1 M2 software without consulting the lines from below, you will risk in bricking your smartphone, so try not to mess things up.
- First, you need to have a rooted Galaxy S Plus, or else you will not be able to install the CM10.1 M2 Jelly Bean software. For the root operation, you can use a suitable guide for the S Plus, or you can choose between: a one click root method available for several Samsung devices, or a general root procedure available for Android based devices.
- Be careful in what root operation you use as by rooting the warranty of your handset will get void.
- You can restore the warranty and reset the flash counter, by applying a un-root operation, or by updating / downgrading your Galaxy S Plus to stock Android OS.
- After gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image on your S Plus because the stock one can’t be used on flashing a custom ROM.
- A wipe of the system will be required, so before staring the update procedure, make a backup for saving your personal data and info like: text messages, contacts, call logs, internet settings, EFS, market apps, calendar info and so on.
- You can use the recovery image for applying a Nandroid backup too; in this way you can save and anytime restore the stock software that runs on your S Plus.
- In case your phone is currently running on a previous version of the CM platform then the wipe is not required, so you can skip the backup.
- A computer or notebook will have to be used; on the same and on your handset you must first deactivate the security options and programs, like antivirus or Firewall protection.
- On your device go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Check the battery status of your smartphone: if there is less than 60% power left charge your phone; else you can skip this step.
This step by step guide should be completed only by those who own the Samsung Galaxy S Plus model number GT I9001; this tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone. Also, the firmware file has been made available by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present guide.
How to Update Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with CM10.1 M2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file on your computer.
- The proper download link is here, so use the same.
- Don’t extract the downloaded file.
- Then, connect your device with the computer; use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- From your computer select the downloaded file; then copy-paste the software from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the computer by unplugging the USB cable.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot into recovery mode: press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- Once the recovery mode menu is displayed, you need to select (only if you flash the CM platform for the first time): “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Remember to backup the data before applying the above step.
- Then, return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the firmware from the SD card and start the flashing process.
- In the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
- If the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic as there is nothing wrong with your handset.
Congratulations, you have finally completed the tutorial which means that now you know how to update your Samsung Galaxy S Plus to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean by flashing the CM10.1 M2 custom ROM firmware. Test the software, see how it performs on your device and then return here and use the comments area from below for sharing your impressions and thoughts whit us or with other users who might want to complete this step by step guide.