Even though it is not ICS (of course Jelly Bean is out of question) the latest official update for the Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 has just been released. So, if you haven’t applied the official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware on your Galaxy S Plus yet, then I will show you how to manually install the software on your phone. This update is being dubbed as XXKQP and is the latest stock ROM available for the S Plus (the same has been pushed out this month).
The Value Pack XXKQP Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS is actually a minor update that comes to resolve the recently reported bugs from the latest version of the Android Gingerbread platform therefore there won’t be added important features and apps on your Galaxy S Plus. But if you do want to enjoy a stable and smooth system, then it is recommended to flash this firmware on your phone. Of course, considering that we are still talking about Gingerbread, you might be tempted in applying an ICS or Jelly Bean based custom ROM instead; if so, don’t hesitate and use one of our step by step guides.
Anyway, if you do want to update your Galaxy S Plus to official Android 2.3.6 XXKQP OS, then this tutorial will take you through the installation procedure. As this is the stock firmware, the same can also be OTA or by using KIES flashed; the present guide is explaining only the manual method. So, if you haven’t received the OTA release, or if your handset is currently rooted and powered by a custom ROM, then for being able to update the S Plus to Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXKQP you will have to follow and complete this step by step guide.
In order to perform this operation you will have to use Odin, which is a dedicated tool used especially on these types of operations. Because of the same, you must ensure that you can use a Windows running computer that has an internet connection enabled. Then, by using Odin and your phone you will flash the update from the computer to your device. That is how this tutorial will go on, the detailed procedure being described below.
But, before explaining on how to use Odin for updating your Samsung Galaxy S Plus, you must first prepare your smartphone and the computer for the flashing operation that will follow. Now, on the computer that will be used, and also on your handset, you must first deactivate the security protection; therefore uninstall the antivirus programs and deactivate the Firewall protection. These tools might interfere with our work and we don’t want that to happen.
Then, you must charge the battery of your device, or else the phone might get turned off in the middle of the update operation. If that happens, you will risk in bricking your Galaxy S Plus. Apply this task only if you notice that there is less than 60% power left. Up next, make sure that the phone’s USB cable is near you. By using the same you will connect your device with the computer; but in order to make things right, first enable the USB debugging option on your S Plus – go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
A backup will be a good idea, as if something will not work, or if in the end you will get a boot loop, a wipe will be required which means that all of your personal data will be erased. Therefore, don’t forget to save the text messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS, market apps, calendar info and everything else before heading to the installation procedure.
As already mentioned, the XXKQP ROM is the official update released by Samsung for your Galaxy S Plus GT I9001, meaning that the Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 is the latest Android system available for your device. Well, because we are dealing with the stock software, you don’t have to previously root your phone for being able to complete this tutorial. Furthermore, if you do have a rooted handset, after applying the below steps the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
So, in case you have updated your S Plus with a custom ROM firmware and want to restore the stock Android OS, or if you want to restore the lost warranty, now you will be able to do so. Also, don’t worry as if you will want to re-root your device, a suitable guide will soon be developed (stay close as we will bring the same in the coming days). Finally, remember that this step by step guide is working only for the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, model number GT I9001; applying the official value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXKQP OS on a different handset will brick the same.
How to Update Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 to Official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXKQP OS
- First, on your computer download Odin.
- Then, download Samsung KIES and install the drivers for the Galaxy S Plus on the computer.
- Extract Odin and install the same.
- From here download the update file and extract the same on the PC.
- Turn off the handset as you need to reboot into download mode.
- For booting into download mode you need to press and hold the Volume Down, Center and Power button together.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Up next, use the USB cable and connect your phone with the computer.
- On Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue; also the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not you will have to reinstall the drivers and repeat the steps (first close Odin and disconnect the phone).
- Once everything is working as expected, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Now, pick the update file downloaded and extracted before, and click on “Start”.
- Do not make any other changes on Odin; just wait while the update process is running.
- If Odin gets stuck you will have to: disconnect the devices, close Odin, force restart your handset, reinstall the drivers and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you are done.
- You can unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
- If you will get a boot loop, you will then have to: reboot into recovery mode, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” followed by “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have finally manually updated your Samsung Galaxy S Plus to official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXKQP OS. Test the new software and do tell us how you find the same. Is your phone running faster or are you noticing any improvements? Use the comments area from below for sharing your questions or thoughts with us and with others who might want to use this method for updating their S Plus devices.