Those who own a Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 smartphone can now learn how to update their devices with the latest and official XXKQI Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware. The ROM can be OTA applied but only through limited markets, therefore, I will teach you how to manually flash the same on your phone. As you will see, the installation procedure will be easy to complete, Odin being the program you will have to use. But more about this and about other details about the update procedure can be checked out during the following lines.
As you might know, Samsung announced that there won’t be any Jelly Bean updates released for the Galaxy S Plus handsets, so you will not be able to receive the latest Android experience; at least not the classic one, as there will be custom ROMs suitable for your phone too. So, don’t worry because we will develop and bring tutorials from which you can learn how to flash a Jelly Bean based ROM on your S Plus smartphone. But until then, I recommend you to get and apply this XXKQI Gingerbread 2.3.6 software as it is the most stable ROM available so far.
Flashing this official firmware should be perfect for those of you who had recently updated the Plus to a custom ROM or to a beta software; as usual, these ROMs are coming with bugs, so most of you would like to make a downgrade to the stock ROM. Now, you can do this and even more, as the XXKQI OS is the latest upgrade released by Samsung. Furthermore, installing the same will be perfect for those who are trying to regain the S Plus warranty. It will be a good idea to bookmark this guide for ensuring that you can anytime apply the official firmware back on your phone’s system.
The best part is that you don’t have to root the S Plus for being able to apply this tutorial. Unfortunately, if the phone is already rooted, after updating to Gingerbread 2.3.6 the root access will be revoked and the bootloader reinstalled. This is happening because we are dealing with an official firmware, so the factory restrictions will be once more installed. Of course you will be able to re-root the device but only by following a guide that suits the new ROM; else you can brick the smartphone.
As you are about to perform this operation manually, a backup should be necessarily. The data might get corrupted, so you can lose all of your personal info. Therefore, take your time and backup the Galaxy S Plus first. I recommend you to read and follow our previous how to guides, from where you can learn how to make a full and safe backup. In a few words all you need to do is to download and install some free distributed apps from Google Play store and that’s it. You can then resume the present tutorial.
Finally you need to take care of some pre requisites. The list of tasks is below. Read it and perform the operations described there.
- Backup the data.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer, to your phone and to its USB cord.
- Charge the handset or make sure that it has enough battery life left (minimum 70%).
- If on your device and on your computer there are security tools installed, go and deactivate them (Firewall and antivirus protection included).
- Enable the USB debugging option from your handset.
That’s all; you can now head to the next section of this tutorial and the last one of course. The steps are being described below, read them carefully and try not to mess things up. Apply the guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S Plus model number GT I9001 and not for similar devices as you can brick them.
How to Update Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 with Official XXKQI Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Download Odin.
- Save the files to your computer.
- Extract Odin and the update package.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Enter your phone in download mode.
- For this press and hold Volume down Key and Center button while powering the device on.
- Up next, connect the smartphone with the PC by using the USB cord.
- As soon as you do this, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM option should be yellow now.
- Then, click on “PDA” and pick the update file downloaded before (“I9001XXKQI_I9001XXKPM_I9001OXFKQ3_HOME.tar.md5”).
- Click on “start”.
- Wait until the installation procedure is over and don’t press anything.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- You can now disconnect the device by removing the USB cord.
- Reboot it; if you can’t use the new ROM, enter in recovery mode.
- From the recovery menu select to perform a wipe of the system.
- For the wipe: select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back” and “reboot system now”.
That was all; your Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 is now updated to the latest and official XXKQI Gingerbread 2.3.6 Firmware. Test the ROM and see how it performs and if there are bugs in the system. Share your opinions with us and do tell us how things worked during the installation procedure. If there were issues, share them so that we can help you out.