The Galaxy S Plus users can get excited as a new official update has just been made available by Samsung for their handsets. The firmware can be OTA applied by the European customers, though you can install the software no matter which country you’re in by following the next step by step guide. So, for updating your Samsung Galaxy S Plus to the official Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread XXKQI OS, just complete the steps from below; of course you should first check the pre requisites, which represents the most relevant section of this tutorial.
I know that this is not exactly what you were expected to see, as more and more devices are receiving the latest (still unofficial) Jelly Bean update. But don’t worry because we will bring the Android 4.1 ROM to you in the coming days; of course you will be able to update the S Plus with a custom ROM and not with the official software, CM 10 and other unofficial firmware being on the last stage of development. Take note that these beta ROMs are coming with several bugs and features that don’t work properly, so until a stable version of Jelly Bean will be released, this official XXKQI update should be perfect for your Galaxy S Plus.
Why? Well, first of all it is coming straight from Samsung, meaning that by flashing the same you will not void the warranty. Furthermore, you don’t need to have a rooted S Plus (a custom recovery image is required though) for being able to apply the following tutorial. Then, this version of Gingerbread is the most stable one available for the Galaxy S Plus, the previous reported bugs being removed and some improvements being added for powering up the performances. Finally, if your phone is currently running a custom ROM or beta firmware, now you will be able to downgrade or apply the stock ROM, which will restore the lost warranty. There are many reasons for performing this operation the up mentioned ones being the most relevant aspects.
As I have mentioned in the introduction, the XXKQI update is official only for the European users of the Galaxy S Plus; for getting the same the rest of the users must follow a manual method in which they can install the software. But for this, a full wipe of the system will be required. Therefore, before commencing the steps you should backup the data. I recommend you to backup almost everything from your handset, starting from contacts, messages, internet settings, market apps, call logs, images and ending with the current ROM. You can find tips and backup / restore guides by searching through our how to section; don’t hesitate and complete this task.
Then, we have the rest of the preparation operations. You must have access to a Windows running computer with Internet connection enabled, to your phone and of course to its USB cord. Then, on the PC and on your handset you should deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection because these programs are usually interfering with the installation process. Up next, enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone and then charge it (or at least check if there is minimum 60% power left). That’s all; you can now begin the proper step by step guide.
How to Update Galaxy S Plus to Official Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread XXKQI Firmware
- First of all, install (on the computer) the proper drivers from here.
- Then, download the update file from here.
- Also download Odin and the OPS file from here.
- Extract and run Odin.
- Extract the update file.
- Turn off the phone and reboot it by entering in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold the Volume_DOWN and Home buttons while powering on.
- Go on the Odin window and select the OPS option and then select the downloaded file.
- On the same Odin activate the “One page” option. Click on the one page button and select the I9001XXKQI_I9001XXKPM_I9001OXFKQ3_HOME.tar.md5 file.
- Up next, connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait until the process ends.
- When you see the “pass” message displayed on Odin you can disconnect the device from the computer by removing the USB cable.
- If you can’t reboot or if something isn’t working you must perform a wipe of the system.
- For this enter in recovery mode.
- For recovery mode press and hold Volume Up button while powering on.
- From the recovery menu, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, when the wipe is over select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was the manual method from which you can install and update your Samsung Galaxy S Plus with the latest and official Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread XXKQI Firmware. If there were problems while trying to apply the update, share the issues with us so that we can help you through. Also, share the other impressions with us and with the other users and stay close for further updates and how to guides suitable for the Samsung Galaxy S Plus smartphones.