The new project started by XplodWild, Chainfire and Dees_troy called OmniROM has reached the “Nightlies” stage. Now you can finally update your Galaxy S2 I9100G with one of the best Kitkat custom ROMs. Read the info in this article and you’ll learn how to successfully get the latest KitKat features on your phone.
OmniROM is based on Android 4.4 KitKat AOSP, which means that it contains all of its default features as well as adding some of its own. The new features added by OmniROM are as following: non-obtrusive incoming call alert, flippable quick settings, multi-window, multi-workspace, visual UI tweaks, DSP Manager enhanced, per-app permissions controls, etc. There are tons of other small tweaks that will allow you to use the Nightly build on a daily-basis.
OmniROM is still in its development stage and you might find errors or bugs while testing it. You can continue updating it with new versions using the download link listed in step 1 of the tutorial.
In order to make sure that you correctly flash this new custom OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for your device you will first need to read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G.
- this is the TI OMAP variant of Galaxy S2.
- the Galaxy S2 I9100 Exynos variant isn’t supported by this tutorial.
- do not attempt to update any other Android device with the ROM files you find in this article.
- The Galaxy S2 I9100G has to be rooted and the CWM Recovery should be installed on it for you to be able to flash OmniROM KitKat custom ROM.
- CWM Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, as otherwise you cannot complete the installation.
- A Factory Reset is required for your device before starting the OmniROM KK Nightly install process.
- the Factory Reset removes data from system partition.
- Factory Reset doesn’t delete contents stored on the internal nor external storage parts of your device.
> this step can be found in the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed apps using Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup APN Internet Settings and SMS text messages with these Android apps: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be needed for some of these applications.
- Sync Contacts data and People details with your default Gmail account.
- guide here.
- by syncing such data you will ensure that no save phone numbers are lost.
- after the installation of OmniROM is completed you will need to make sure to enter the same Google Account, so that all phone numbers and Contacts info are synced with your phone.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, don’t skip it.
- it will set a restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case the new smartphone doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users who want to test custom Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROMs.
- Read the entire tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- Check your phone’s battery charge level an make sure that it is over 50%. This will prevent the phone from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- Note that neither we nor the developers are to be blamed in case you brick your phone or lose any important data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your device.
How to install OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- don’t unzip the archived files.
- disconnect the device from computer when all files are copied successfully.
- Power off your Galaxy S2 now.
- Boot the phone in CWM Recovery Mode now:
- it can be done if you press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power all at the same time.
- release the buttons when the main CWM Recovery screen appears.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, save the file and then continue to the next step.
- don’t skip this step
- now you will have a restore point for your phone in case the new ROM refuses to boot in normal mode.
- Apply the Factory Reset for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm the process.
> in case your device runs on a previous build of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly, then you can skip this step.
> in case you skip this step and then new ROM refuses to boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps.
- Now, you can finally flash the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for your smartphone:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the custom ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- Next, repeat step 8 actions and make sure to flash the Gapps zip too.
- When both the OmniROM KitKat Nightly and Gapps files are installed with success, return to the main CWM Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- wait for the phone to finish the first boot process of OmniROM, don’t press any buttons until you see the new home screen.
- Enter your Google Account details when the OmniROM boots in normal mode.
- take control over your device and start testing all of its new features and functions.
Since you’ve installed all the files successfully you are free to close this tutorial and test the new ROM.
NOTE: in case your phone doesn’t boot in normal mode with OmniROM, then you will have to remove its battery for five seconds, re-insert the battery back into its place and then repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps.
If you have problems completing the installation of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly on your Galaxy S2 I9100G, then you should ask for extra help in comments. But, make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for whatever problem you encounter.
In case you don’t like OmniROM or how your Galaxy S2 I9100G works with it, then you can always restore your device to its previous state using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6.
I hope that you found this tutorial helpful and that you did manage to update your smartphone without problems.