The Android Open Kang Project team has released a new version of the AOKP custom ROM firmware, the JB-MR1 Milestone 2 software, which is based on stock Android 4.2.2 system. Since the update is already available for numerous Android devices (we must mention the SGS4, HTC One, Note 2 and Xperia Z) now you can easily learn how to manually flash the OS improvement on your handsets. Anyway, during the present tutorial I will show you how to update the Galaxy S2 I9100 with the new AOKP Milestone 2 JB 4.2.2 custom firmware, so for further details check the following lines.
The new version of AOKP brings new features, apps and capabilities for your Samsung Galaxy S2 along with an improved and more stable variant of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware. The Milestone 2 release has just been made available by the Android Open Kang Project and according to the latest rumors this will be the last AOKP launch as Google is preparing the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean software – as you might know the new platform might be unveiled on Google’s event from July 24.
As mentioned the AOKP Milestone 2 comes with new features that can be easily installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100; from the apps and capabilities included in the update we must mention the following ones: Permission management, AOKP Ribbon, Dark AOKP, mGerrit, Persistence support, Quick Torch on Lockscreen, HDR mode in AOSP Camera, New Toggles, or Superuser from Koush. All these are coming aside a new custom version of the default Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM – the present one is stable and will smoothly run on your S2.
Now, for being able to install AOKP Milestone 2 on Galaxy S2 you will first have to prepare your smartphone for the flashing operation that will follow. Since we are dealing with an custom ROM firmware the pre requisites are the usual ones:
- You need to have a rooted SGS2, or else you will not be able to complete the tutorial.
- On the rooted system you then have to install a custom recovery image, a tool which will be used on the update process.
- You need to backup the Galaxy S2 data because for updating to AOKP Milestone 2 a wipe will be required. So save anything you need (contacts, messages, EFS, call logs, current ROM, market apps and so on) or else you will lose everything that’s important to you.
- A computer, your handset and its official USB cable are being required.
- On the computer and on your phone there shouldn’t be running any security tools.
- Your device should have more than 60% power left; if not you should plug in the charger.
- The USB debugging option on your S2 must be enabled – go to “Settings -> Development Options -> USB debugging”.
There you have it, those were the essential and general pre requisites that must be completed before heading to the steps from below. Be careful when performing the same as the Galaxy S2 I9100 warranty will get void. This is happening because root access will be gained meaning that you can restore the warranty by unrooting the system or by downgrading your phone to stock Android OS. The AOKP Milestone 2 firmware is a custom ROM so the same shouldn’t be considered an official update.
Finally, don’t apply this step by step guide unless you own the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. The JB-MR1 Milestone 2 release of the AOKP software presented here is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone – using the steps from below on similar or different devices will brick your Android based phones.
How to Update Galaxy S2 with new AOKP Milestone 2 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Save the file on your computer, don’t unzip the same.
- Download the Google Apps package from here.
- Save the package on the same computer without unzipping.
- Connect your S2 with the computer.
- Select the files and place them (drag and drop or copy-paste) on your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable and turn off your device.
- Wait a few seconds and then reboot in recovery mode.
- The Galaxy S2 can be booted in recovery by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- From recovery the first thing to do is to wipe the system: select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery – “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- First pick the AOKP update file and flash the same on your SGS2.
- Then repeat the process and get the Google Apps package and install the same on your phone.
- In the end you will have to select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s it; but in case your phone will get stuck in a boot loop, return to recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Congratulations you have installed the latest version of the AOKP custom ROM, the JB-MR1 Milestone 2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Since this is a new update, test the software, see how it performs and then return here and share your impressions about the same with us and with other who might want to flash the ROM on their devices.