Even though the Galaxy S2 is now an outdated smartphone, Samsung is still updating its users with the latest features and apps available on the market as the device had already received the official Jelly Bean touch. Anyway, if you want to obtain even more from your phone, then you can anytime choose to update it with a custom ROM firmware. Anyhow when deciding to complete the mentioned operation, do ensure that you are applying a stable ROM that comes with the latest version of Android installed. If you are having problems in finding the best platform, don’t worry as during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to update the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 by flashing the Avatar custom software.
As you know when talking about custom ROMs the first thing that should be clear for you is that you will not install an official release of the Android system on your device. That’s because the custom firmwares are a free aftermarket distribution of the Android OS (in our case Jelly Bean 4.2.2), the software being developed and provided by third party devs (in our case the Avatar team). So, in order to conclude, by following this tutorial you will update your Galaxy S2 with the Avatar custom ROM, which is an unofficial software that has nothing to do with Samsung.
The best is that the Avatar ROM is stable, so you will be enjoying a bugs-free custom version of the Android 4.2.2 jelly Bean OS on your SGS2 I9100. This is the 2.12 variant of the Avatar OS, meaning that the system has been updated since its first release, so new features, apps and capabilities will be installed on your smartphone. Actually, by flashing the JB 4.2.2 based firmware you will be able to power up the performances of your Galaxy S2 by improving the battery life, customizing and optimizing the internal system and the looks, removing in built apps, installing new complex tools and a lot more.
So, if you want to test the new version of the Avatar custom ROM on your Galaxy S2, then check the present guide as everything you need is being explained and detailed here. During the next few lines we will start the flashing procedure by preparing your handset and by ensuring that you are aware of the risks that comes with a custom ROM. Then, I will show you how to apply the firmware on your S2 and finally we will see how to resolve the problems that might occur during the installation procedure.
The first thing to take care of is the root access. Considering the already mentioned aspects, it’s well known the fact that a custom firmware can’t be installed on a locked handset; so do root your Galaxy S2 before going any further. Be aware as the root procedure implies other important aspects such as: the warrant of your phone will get void because you will make changes on the internal system of your handset (by removing the factory restrictions). That’s why you should be careful when applying such operations. Anyway, don’t panic; the warranty can be regained – all you have to do is to downgrade your Galaxy S2 to stock Jelly Bean OS, or to perform a un-root procedure.
As soon as the OS is rooted you have to proceed by installing a custom recovery image on your SGS2 (preferable to choose CWM recovery). The Avatar ROM can be flashed only by using the mentioned tool; the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on all the Android based devices can’t be used when flashing custom, or unofficial updates. The custom recovery image can be used for other operations too, as you will be able to: backup the data and the current ROM, wipe the system, customize the performances and a lot more.
I have mentioned above something about a backup; well before updating your S2 with the Avatar ROM, backup your data along with your personal info and accounts because a wipe will be required and you will risk in losing everything that is being saved on the internal storage memory of your handset. After backing up the data, complete the tasks mentioned during the following list.
- You will need to use a computer; make sure that on the computer the internet access is enabled as you need to download the Avatar file.
- Of course, your smartphone and its USB cable will also be required.
- It is recommended to deactivate, or even uninstall the security tools that are running on your computer and on your device; these programs might interfere with our work.
- Also, it is recommended to charge your phone before starting the steps from below. If your handset gets turned off while you are trying to update its system, then you will risk in bricking or damaging its OS.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your S2; else you will not be able to properly connect your phone with the computer.
- Take note: the tutorial can be applied only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100, so don’t try to flash the Avatar OS if you own a similar or different smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 with Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- You can’t begin the update operation without downloading the firmware on your computer.
- So, use the link from here and place the Rom on your PC; don’t unzip the package.
- Next, connect your phone with the computer as you need to transfer the downloaded software.
- So plug in the USB cord.
- And then copy-paste the update file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off your S2.
- Reboot by holding the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons together; in this way you can boot into recovery mode.
- Then, by using the recovery mode menu, wipe the system of your handset or else the Avatar ROM will not run properly.
- So, choose “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu and from there select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the downloaded firmware and flash the package on your device.
- Don’t press anything else while the installation procedure is running.
- After a few minutes you will be able to select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” meaning that you are done for today.
- If a boot loop is what you get, reboot into recovery mode once more and from there this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” -> “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has been successfully updated to custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. The new Avatar custom firmware has been installed on your smartphone, so test the ROM in order to check its features and performances. If you find bugs or things that aren’t working properly, use the comments area from below and share your thoughts with our team.