Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 R25 AOKP Custom ROM Firmware
The third party developers are hardly working to develop new and stable versions of Jelly Bean based custom ROMs for our beloved smartphones, just for bringing the latest Android flavor before its official release and of course for improving the same. Now, a new firmware has just been made available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 handsets, though there are already several updates offered for the same device. Anyway, during the present step by step guide we will be checking in how to update the SGS2 to R25 AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM firmware, so for the proper guide check the next lines.
As already stated before, you can choose from a long list of updates suitable for the Galaxy S2 GT I9100, some being based on the latest Android OS, some on previous versions of the same platform, so before deciding in what firmware to apply on your phone, just take a look over our how to section and see what ROMs are being available for you. In this way you can ensure that you are making the best decision, as the features are different from one update to another. The present software is coming with important bug fixes and capabilities for your SGS2 and it’s featuring an appealing interface that is embracing the default Jelly Bean one.
The R25 AOKP custom ROM firmware is dubbed as XXLPX and its not being provided by Samsung. So, you are not dealing with an official update. This software is being offered by the AOKP team and the present guide was first developed by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this possibility. As it is a beta ROM, you will have to previously root your Galaxy S2, or else you will not be able to apply the Android 4.1.1 update on it. An unchained system is giving you more access to the OS, so you can even change it with an unofficial one. Once you root the phone, its warranty will be void. You can regain the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM or by installing an official firmware provided by Samsung for the S2 devices.
After getting root access, you must install a custom recovery image on your phone as you will have to use this tool for backing up the data or even the current ROM and for the flashing process, which is being explained during the steps from below. I have mentioned a backup because a full wipe of the system will be required, so you can lose important info and data. Almost each time when you complete such an operation all of your data will be erased. Therefore, before just backup it up; for the same you can use several backup and restoration apps from Google Play (free distributed ones), a computer or a SD card.
Then, you must prepare the SGS2 for the installation process. For this, you must complete the next pre requisites. Without taking care of the same you risk in bricking the device as if somehow you are doing something wrong bad things can happen. Remember that the warranty is void, so be careful in what you do. Read all the lines from this tutorial for ensuring that you are doing everything as it should.
- First of all, backup the data.
- Then, root the S2.
- Next, install a custom recovery image on it.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer, to your smartphone and to its USB cord.
- On the computer and on your handset, deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection. You can reactivate the programs as soon as the update operation is over.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your phone from here: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- In the end, charge the battery or make sure that there is at least 70% power left.
You can now safely begin the flashing process. The manual method is being described below, so just read and complete the steps. Be aware as this tutorial can only be applied for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 devices and not for similar Android powered ones. You can easily brick your beloved smartphones therefore read twice before changing something on it.
How to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 R25 AOKP Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to use your computer for downloading the update file.
- The download link is here.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the phone with the PC.
- Once the connections establish, select the downloaded file and copy paste it from the computer to your handset.
- Next, remove the USB cable and disconnect the S2 from the PC.
- Turn the phone off.
- Reboot in recovery mode by holding on the Volume Up button and on the Home key while powering on.
- The first thing to do in recovery will be the wipe.
- For a full wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” and then choose “+++go back+++” for returning to the main menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file downloaded before and flash the same.
- Wait until the installation procedure ends and don’t press anything else.
- When done, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 had finally been updated to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 R25 AOKP Custom ROM Firmware. If you had problems in understanding one of the steps, or if the guide didn’t work for you, tell us which the issues were and we will try to help you out. Also, share your impressions related to the new ROM with us and with other users by using the comments area from below. Stay close as during the following days we will bring a root step by step guide suitable for the new Jelly Bean 4.1.1 R25 AOKP OS.