Update Galaxy S2 i9100 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Super Nexus Custom ROM
One of the most popular and appreciated smartphones released by Samsung, the Galaxy S2 GT I9100 can now receive the latest Android flavor, as a new custom ROM firmware has just been made available by those if xda-developers (we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide). So, during the next few lines I will be showing you in how to install the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 based Super Nexus custom ROM on your SGS2 handset, all being explained and summarized in some easy to follow steps.
Currently, the S2 is running on the Ice Cream 4.0.4 (XXLQ5) firmware, so Jelly Bean should be what you need for improving your phone’s system and also its performances. Unfortunately, until now there are no words coming from Samsung related to a possible Android 4.1.1 update, meaning that for the official version of the software you need to wait a little bit longer. Of course, you can anytime spice things up by learning how to flash a custom ROM, which will bring the Jelly Bean features and other capabilities on your device. It’s true that you will not receive the default Android platform but at least you can enjoy its benefits before the official launch.
For those who don’t know, there are several Jelly Bean based ROMs available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 smartphones (for the same check out our how to section), so before deciding in installing something on your phone, just ensure that you are making the best decision. As already stated, the Super Nexus software has been developed by those of xda-developers and according to them it’s the most stable variant of Android 4.1 available so far for the SGS2 users. There are still minor bugs and things that aren’t working but the major ones had been removed. Anyway, for being able to make a proper view about this new ROM, here are its main features, the ones that will be ported on your device once you complete this tutorial.
Be aware, as you cannot flash the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Super Nexus ROM on your S2 unless it has a rooted software (Ice Cream Sandwich one). Furthermore, after rooting you should also install a custom recovery image into its system, which will be used for the installation procedure as you will see during the steps from below. Once you gain root access, the warranty will be void. So, if you are not comfortable with this aspect maybe it will be a good idea to wait for the official update. If not, go and unchain the system and then resume the next lines. The warranty can be restored afterwards by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating to an official firmware released by Samsung and suitable with your SGS2. Then, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
Finally, before the proper steps, you must complete some preparation operations. Just read and check the next list and that should be all. Without taking care of these pre requisites you will not be able to safely install the update on your phone, or you can risk in bricking its system. It’s the most relevant section of this guide so don’t skip it.
- First of all, you must know that a wipe of the system will be required. Therefore, I recommend you to backup the data from your S2 GT I9100.There are more ways available for the backup procedure, but you can anytime use our next tips.
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore tools for Android.
- Learn how to use a custom recovery image for backing up the current ROM too.
- Sync with your Gmail account and backup the contacts.
- Use a computer or an SD card for other files.
- Once the backup is done, you must deactivate the security programs that run on your smartphone and on your computer.
- Then, on your handset enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- And charge the battery or at least make sure that there is more than 60% power left.
Those were the pre requisites, so now you can safely head to the steps from the proper guide. Your device is prepared for the installation procedure, just download the update file and then follow my directions. Ensure that you are not completing the tutorial for similar handsets with the Galaxy S2 GT I9100 as you can brick them. This method is being suitable only for the already mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with Super Nexus Custom ROM
- Download the update from here and the Google apps from here and place the files on your Windows running computer.
- Then, connect the SGS2 with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Copy paste the downloaded tools from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the same from your device.
- Turn off the smartphone.
- Reboot in recovery mode; for this press and hold Volume Up button and the Home key button while powering on.
- First, from recovery, select to perform a full wipe.
- For the wipe select : “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- When done, choose “+++go back+++”.
- Again, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first, install the same, and then do exactly the same for flashing the Google apps.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all; your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 is now running the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based Super Nexus Custom ROM firmware. Remember that this update isn’t coming from Samsung and has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. It’s a beta OS, so don’t expect to receive the default Android platform. Test the new ROM and see how it performs; share your impressions with us and with other users. Also, stay close as during the following days we will be showing you in how to root the new OS for your SGS2.