Even though the Jelly Bean update hasn’t been yet officially released for the Samsung Galaxy S2 devices, its users can start to test the latest Android system as there are several custom ROMs, like CM 10, available for their handsets. But, during today’s how to guide we will not discuss on how to update the S2 to Android 4.1, as a new ICS based firmware has just been leaked for your beloved smartphone. Therefore, by checking the next few lines you will be able to learn the manual method from which you can install the new Omega 15 ICS custom ROM firmware on your SGS2.
This software will be perfect for the Omega fans as it is the most stable Ice Cream Sandwich based ROM so far developed for the S2 devices. As usual, the update was developed and also made available by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial. The installation procedure will follow the classic line when it comes to a custom ROM, so you have nothing to worry about; you will be done in just a couple of minutes. But before you do so, let’s talk about the features that come with the Omega 15 platform and let’s see which the pre requisites are.
First of all, we are dealing with a third party developed ROM, which means that you will not receive the classic Android system. The Omega 15 update will be able to power up the performances of your SGS2 by adding several features and capabilities that can’t be found in the default version of the Android platform. In this way, the phone internal system will be opened for changes and also customized and optimized. Therefore you will be able to personalize the looks, obtain more speed from your handset, enjoy the upgraded battery life, the improved web browsing experience and the rest of the extra-features.
As you can see, for being able to do all that, you need to have access to your Galaxy S2 internal system. This aspect brings another problem: you need to gain root access first as you cannot apply the update on an un-rooted system. So, before going any further, ensure that your smartphone is rooted. Be aware as the warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do. By downgrading to the stock ROM or by installing an official upgrade released by Samsung and suitable for your Galaxy S2 GT I9100 you can restore the warranty, so everything’s fine so far. Another aspect that you must take care of is the custom recovery image. It’s essential to install such a tool on your handset (preferable CWM recovery) as we will use it for the flashing operation.
As you are about to install a custom ROM on your SGS2 GT I9100 a full wipe of the system will be required. That means your personal info will be erased (only the data which is saved on the internal storage memory will be affected). So, for avoiding this unpleasant situation, I recommend you to backup the data. Then, it’s necessary to perform some other preparation tasks which can ensure that your phone will be in safe hands, at least during the steps from the proper guide. It’s important to complete these pre requisites; else you can easily brick your smartphone and I know you don’t want that to happen. Now, I have mentioned some backup tips along with other essential operations during the next list, so take a look over the same.
- If your SGS2 has a custom recovery installed, then you can backup and restore when needed the current ROM.
- Then, download backup and restore apps for saving the text messages.
- Also, you can use Call log backup and restore apps for Android.
- The contacts can be easily stored by learning how to sync with Google and use the Android cloud.
- Files like images or videos can be saved by using a computer or a SD card.
- Once the backup is completed, you should deactivate the security programs from your PC and from your S2. These tools are usually interrupting the update process.
- On your phone enable the USB debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Also, you should check the battery status: if there is less than 70% power left charge the battery.
- Install the proper drivers on the computer.
- Remember to root and install CWM on your SGS2.
This how to guide must be performed only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100, so don’t try to apply the below steps for similar smartphones or devices as you can brick them. With that we are done; you can now safely head to the next section of this tutorial.
How to Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Omega 15 ICS Custom ROM
- On the computer download the update file from here.
- Next, you need to place this file on your phone.
- For this, connect the S2 with the PC by using the original USB cable.
- Once connected, copy and the paste the downloaded file from the computer to your handset.
- Then, remove the USB cable as we are done with the computer.
- Turn off the device.
- Now, enter it in recovery mode.
- For doing that you must press and hold the Volume Up Key and Menu button while powering on the phone.
- From recovery first of all, wipe the system.
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the recovery menu.
- Next, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- At this point, pick the update file and flash the same on your phone.
- Wait until the installation process is over.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
That was all for today. You learned how to manually update the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Omega 15 Ice Cream Sandwich Custom ROM firmware. If you don’t like this OS and want to experience and test the latest Android one, remember that you can anytime apply a Jelly Bean based ROM by searching and completing a suitable tutorial from our how to section. Share your impressions with us and with other users by using the comments are from below.