Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100G to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSR OS
The latest version of the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is here, as the XWLSR firmware has been launched by Samsung for limited markets only. So, if you want to remove the previous reported bugs from the Android system, install new features and apply the latest Android experience available for your Galaxy S2 GT I9100G, completing this step by step guide is what you need to do. Therefore, during the next lines we will be checking on how to manually flash the stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSR software on any Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100G devices.
This method should be performed by those who hasn’t received the OTA update yet, or by those who own a rooted handset; as you know a rooted system cannot be OTA or by using KIES updated with an official firmware. Also, this tutorial will be perfect for the users who are looking forward in restoring the Galaxy S2 warranty, because once the Android 4.1.2 XWLSR OS is installed, you will reset the flash counter. As you can see, there are many reasons why you should follow the steps from below, but if this is not what you are looking for, then you can anytime check our “update Samsung Galaxy S2” section.
As mentioned, this variant of the official Jelly Bean software brings some bug fixes, so you should know that the reported problems with the camera and with the Gallery have been finally resolved. Take note that this is only a minor improvement so don’t expect to see important changes on your Android 4.1.2 experience, though the Galaxy S2 system will now be optimized. Now, in order to safely install the XWLSR ROM on your S2 GT I9100G you must first prepare your phone and also apply the essential pre requisites; you have it all explained and detailed during the next list.
- As mentioned, you don’t have to previously root your SGS2.
- If your device is rooted, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
- Therefore, the warranty will be restored.
- Even though this is the official update, you still have to backup the data before going any further.
- After saving the contacts, messages, call logs and so on, ensure that you also backup the EFS and the internet settings.
- A computer, or notebook with Windows installed is required.
- The handset and its USB cord will be used.
- On your S2 go to the path “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the last option.
- If you notice that there is less than 60% power left on your smartphone, take the charger and plug it in, or else the phone might get turned off in the middle of the update operation.
- Uninstall all the security setting and programs that are running on the computer or SGS2.
Now, make sure that you apply the step by step guide only for flashing the stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100G. Using the below steps for a similar smartphone will brick the same, so be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up.
How to Manually Update Galaxy S2 GT I9100G to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSR OS
- First on your computer you have to download the update file and Odin.
- We will use Odin for flashing the update on your phone.
- The download link for the update file is here.
- Download Odin from here.
- Extract the update file on your computer and then install Odin.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Turn off the handset.
- Reboot it into download mode.
- The download mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Center and Power buttons together.
- While the device is in download mode, connect the same with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Now, on Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow and the “added” message should be there.
- If different, download Samsung KIES and install the proper drivers for your S2 and then repeat the procedure from above.
- Up next, click on “PDA” and select the update file (the .tar one).
- Click on “start” and in the end you should see the “pass” message displayed.
- Unplug the USB cable as you are done.
If by using Odin you can’t complete the update, unplug the USB cord and turn off the phone. Then remove the battery and re-insert it. After 5 seconds turn it on again and try to re-do the steps from the beginning; everything should be working fine now. Also, if after using Odin you will get a boot loop, try to do the following:
- Boot into recovery mode (press on Volume Up, Home and Power buttons).
- From there wipe the system.
- You can make a wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- The first boot might take longer than usual; don’t panic there is nothing wrong with your S2.
Well, that’s all for now. You have updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 with the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSR OS. Test the firmware and share your impressions with us and with other users who might want to apply this tutorial. Also, stay close as we will bring more guides suitable with your S2 in the coming days.