Update Galaxy S2 I9100 with CM10 and AOKP based ReVolt Custom ROM
The Samsung Galaxy S2 is one of the most popular Android based handsets, of course not as popular as its successor the well-known Galaxy S3. Unfortunately, many of you might think that it is a little bit outdated, especially if we consider that the phone will no longer receive official updates (Jelly Bean ones as this interest us the most), so maybe you will even want to change it with a more powerful device. What you don’t know is that you can still power up the performances and update the internal system, as custom ROMs firmware are being developed as we speak. The Android 4.1.2 ReVolt custom ROM is one of these numerous unofficial OS improvements, installing the same on your Galaxy S2 I9100 being what you should do for taking your phone to a higher level of performance.
That’s exactly what we will be checking during the present step by step guide: how to update the Galaxy S2 with the CM10 and AOKP based ReVolt Jelly Bean firmware. As mentioned, the update is mixing two powerful platforms, the CM10 and the AOKP one meaning that features imported from both ROMs will be installed on your S2 I9100 along with extra capabilities that will optimize and customize the system of your device. Furthermore, the same software is bringing the latest version of the Android flavor, the 4.1.2 one, so you have all the reasons for flashing the ReVolt OS on your handset.
You should take note that this is not an update released by Samsung and the same has nothing to do with the mentioned company. Actually, the CM10 and AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.2 ReVolt custom ROM has been developed and tested on the Galaxy S2 by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. This means that you will have to manually install the ROM on your phone, which implies in preparing the device first. Without completing the below pre requisites you can end up in bricking your S2, so make sure you read all the next lines.
Now, first maybe you will want to learn more about the CM10 / AOKP Android 4.1.2 ReVolt update. For that you can anytime check our source page from here. In this way you can ensure that you are making the best decision for your SGS2 smartphone. From what the users reported, the ROM is stable and works smooth on the mentioned device, so you have nothing to worry about.
As I have promised before, let’s talk about the pre requisites. For easing your work I have explained what you have to do during the next list. Complete all that is mentioned there and then go and perform the proper steps. From there you will learn how to easily flash the software on your handset, so be patience and also careful in what you do or apply.
- Start by making a backup; you have suitable tutorials here on Android.gs, so go and use the same. You have some tips below but for more guides take a look over our how to section.
- Backup the EFS.
- Backup the current ROM or make a Nandroid backup by using CWM recovery.
- After saving the data you need, you must root the Galaxy S2. If your phone was previously rooted you can skip this step. The warranty will get void once you start this operation so be careful in what you do. If you will need to restore the lost warranty, just downgrade to the stock ROM.
- Then, install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery. We will use this for wiping the system and for applying the CM10 and AOKP based update.
- Next, just make sure you can use a computer or notebook, your handset and its USB cable.
- Deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection from both PC and smartphone.
- Check the battery status and if there is less than 60% power left, go and charge your Galaxy S2.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- Do not perform the next steps if you own a similar device with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 because the CM10 and AOKP based ReVolt custom ROM will work only for the mentioned phone.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 with CM10 and AOKP based ReVolt Custom ROM Firmware
- You can download the update from here.
- Save the file on the computer.
- Then, copy the same on the phone’s SD card (first connect the device with the computer by using the USB cable).
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off the smartphone, or just reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now, from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (remember to backup the data first).
- Select “+++go back+++”.
- And then from the main menu select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- At this point you have to pick the downloaded file from the SD card and then flash the same.
- The installation procedure will take a couple of minutes, don’t press anything, just wait until everything is done.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now running the CM10 / AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based ReVolt Custom ROM Firmware. That was all for today, but stay close for further tutorials suitable with your S2. Also, if something went wrong while trying to perform the above guide, share the issues with us and with other users by using the comments area.