The Galaxy S2 I9100 handset had received the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA update, but if you need to manually flash the firmware on your device, a suitable tutorial must be used. That’s why during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to install the XWLSD OS on your Galaxy S2. As you know there are several official Android 4.1.2 updates available for your phone (the XWLS8 and XXLSJ), so which one you should apply? Well, the XWLSD comes with some bug fixes (the battery drain issues and the problems related to the camera have been also fixed), so if you want to enjoy a smooth and stable Jelly Bean experience on your SGS2, this tutorial must be completed.
Since these operations are being considered risky and complex ones, I couldn’t just update the previous tutorials explained for manually updating the Galaxy S2 with the previous versions of the official and stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM; so be careful in what you do and make sure that you read all the following lines as we do want to avoid the unpleasant situations. Don’t worry though as if you apply my indications and the steps from below there shouldn’t be any problems and your smartphone will be in safe hands.
Before beginning it must be clear for you that we are dealing with an official update and not with a custom ROM firmware. Because of the same you should know that:
- You don’t have to previously root your Galaxy S2 for being able to install the stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSD software.
- Also, if you have a rooted device, by applying this tutorial the root access will be revoked; furthermore the bootloader will be relocked and the factory restrictions and default settings reinstalled.
- In case you will want to re-root your smartphone you will then have to follow a guide suitable with the new Android 4.1.2 OS.
- If your phone is currently powered by a custom ROM, or if you have performed operations that leaded in voiding the warranty, now you will be able to restore the same.
Also, considering that this is still a manual procedure (you are not OTA or by using KIES update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software), you have to first prepare some things in order to safely begin the installation procedure. For that you have the pre requisites which are being detailed below.
- On the update process, Odin will be used; so even though by using Odin usually nothing bad happens with the phone’s data, it is still recommended to complete a backup operation.
- Furthermore, if in the end, the phone will not boot, you will have to wipe the system, so in order to avoid the unpleasant situations, save the contacts, messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings and the market apps.
- The Odin program must be installed on a Windows running computer; also, your phone and its USB cord should be there.
- On your computer and device there shouldn’t be any security tools or programs installed.
- The phone must be fully charged.
- You should enable the USB debugging option on your SGS2 by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Finally, remember that this step by step guide has been developed and should be used only by those who own the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. The official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSD ROM will run only on the mentioned smartphone; flashing the same on a similar handset will brick your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSD OS
- From here download the update file.
- Save the file on your computer and then extract the same.
- Download Samsung KIES and install the proper drivers for your phone.
- Then, download and install Odin on your computer.
- Turn off the device.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Down, Center key and Power buttons at the same time.
- The download mode will be displayed.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Connect the handset with the PC via USB cable.
- Once the connection establish, on Odin the “added” message will be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM section will be yellow or blue.
- If not, try to re-install the drivers and repeat the steps.
- Go to the Odin window and from there select “PDA”.
- Pick the update file and click on “Start”.
- Don’t do anything until you see the Language selection / Country Selector option on your phone.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- You can unplug the USB cable now.
You might notice that the first boot will take longer than usual; if that happens, don’t do anything, just wait until the phone boots. After the first boot the phone will be restarting normally. Now, if you get a boot loop, follow the next steps:
- Turn off the device.
- Reboot it into recovery mode.
- For recovery mode press and hold the Volume UP, Center key and Power buttons together.
- From the recovery mode select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations you have succeeded in updating your Samsung Galaxy S2 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSD firmware. Test the software and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area from below. Also, do share the possible issues or problems that might occur during the installation procedure.