Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSN OS
A new minor update has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy S2 I9100 handsets in order to improve and resolve the issues included in the previous Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSJ firmware and also for adding some new features, so today we will be checking on how to manually flash the same on your phone. The software is dubbed as XWLSN and it is the latest version of Android 4.1.2 OS available for the Galaxy S2 devices. You can apply the ROM via KIES or over the air, but if you haven’t received it until now, or if you need to manually update your S2 to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSN OS, then follow and complete the present tutorial.
The new XWLSN platform is available only for the Galaxy S2 model number I9100, at least until now, so apply the next steps only if you own the mentioned device. Furthermore, the firmware is the official one, this is not a custom ROM based on stock Jelly Bean OS. Therefore, this guide will be similar with the other ones that we have explained here on Android.gs; completing it will take only a couple of minutes and the procedure is safe so you have nothing to worry about.
When manually installing updates on an Android based device here is what you need to know: almost each time Odin is used, which is a tool designed especially for these types of operations; you don’t have to own a rooted smartphone / tablet; if you do have a rooted handset, then after completing the guide, the root access will be revoked; by flashing the stock / official software you can restore the warranty (if it was previously voided) and reset the flash counter; also you can get the default Android experience on your device along with the latest bug fixes, features and apps available for your phone.
As mentioned, the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 9 XWLSN OS is only a minor update available for your Samsung Galaxy S2, but the system is coming with several features like: free 50GB Dropbox Storage, 2 home screen modes, direct call, smart stay, new lock screen, Samsung’s S Cloud services, TouchWiz Nature UX and more. Furthermore, there have been resolved the battery drain issue and the heating problem therefore, the XWLSN software is stable and comes with a better Android 4.1.2 experience for your S2 I9100.
If you want to safely update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to official XWLSN Jelly Bean firmware, then you need to first check and apply the pre requisites; the same are being explained during the following list. Don’t skip this section as it is the most relevant one; in the end your phone will be prepared for the flashing process.
- Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your Galaxy S2. Usually, by using Odin your data should be in safe hands, but if something bad happens you will have to make a wipe in order to resolve the problems, which means that you can lose all of your personal saves. Therefore, take your time and backup everything you might need.
- Remember that your S2 doesn’t have to be rooted; the XWLSN OS can be flashed on rooted or un-rooted systems too.
- You need to use a Windows running computer, your smartphone and its USB cable.
- Uninstall, or deactivate the antivirus tools and all the other security programs that are running on your computer and phone; these programs will interfere with the update operation.
- Charge the battery of your Galaxy S2 especially if you notice that there is less than 60% power left; you don’t want to brick your phone in case it will get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone before going any further; you can check the same by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Do remember that this step by step guide is being compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100, so don’t try to apply the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSN software on a similar device. Also, before starting the next steps make sure that you have read all the lines from above; else you might end up in bricking your smartphone.
How to manually Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSN OS
- First of all, on your computer download the required tools and the firmware.
- Download Samsung KIES and install the Galaxy S2 drivers on your computer.
- Download Odin and install the same on the computer.
- Download the update file from here and extract it on the PC.
- Now, open Odin as we will start the update operation.
- Boot your handset into download mode.
- You can enter download mode by following: turn off the phone, then reboot it by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Menu buttons at the same time.
- With the device booted in download mode, use the USB cable and connect the S2 with the computer.
- Once the connection establish, on Odin you should notice: the ID:COM is yellow or blue and the “added” message is displayed.
- If not, you must reinstall the drivers on your computer; then repeat the above steps once more.
- If everything is working as planned, then, from Odin select “PDA”.
- You can now pick the update file from your computer.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; the Re-partition box shouldn’t be checked.
- Click on “Start”.
- When the update process is over, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- Unplug the USB cord and reboot the phone.
- If the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic; there is nothing wrong with your Galaxy S2.
As already mentioned before, there might be some problems while trying to update your Galaxy S2. Now, we will try to resolve the same; so if Odin will get stuck while you will apply the steps from above, you will have to do the following tasks:
- Close Odin.
- Disconnect the device from the computer.
- Reinstall the drivers on your PC.
- Force restart the phone.
- Run Odin and repeat the update procedure from above.
Also, in the end, your handset might get stuck in a boot loop. Well, this problem can be easily resolved as soon as you perform:
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- You can boot into recovery by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Menu buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Also, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Everything should be working fine now.
So, that was all. The guide has been completed meaning that now you know how to manually update the Samsung Galaxy S2 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. If you have further problems, or if you want to talk with us, then use the comments are from below and share your thoughts with us. Also, stay close as we will bring a root method suitable for the XWLSN system soon.