Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS Firmware
The Galaxy S2 had already received the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 touch, several times actually, but it seems that new versions of the Android JB software are being released by Samsung for the S2. The latest update is dubbed as XWLSS and comes with several bug fixes that will resolve the issues related to the camera. So, if you want to update your Galaxy S2 I9100 to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS firmware, complete the present tutorial which will easily take you through the manual process of the flashing operation.
Anyway, as mentioned there are several versions of the stock Android Jelly Bean OS available for the Galaxy S2 device, so if you want to check the same, or take a look over the custom ROMs that are suitable with your phone, go and access our “update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100” section.
The XWLSS software has been officially released by Samsung which means that the update can be OTA applied on the Galaxy S2. Anyway, if you want to manually install the OS, or if your handset is rooted or powered by a custom ROM (in that case you can’t receive the OTA releases) then complete the present tutorial.
Because of the mentioned lines, we can aready conclude that: by completing this guide you will manually flash the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS OS on your Galaxy S2; the tutorial is compatible only with the S2 version number I9100; and you will not void the warranty of your handset by performing the next steps.
Unfortunately, if you have a rooted smartphone (root access isn’t required for this operation) after applying the stock JB firmware, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. The best is that now you will be able to restore the warranty, if it has been previously voided.
Another thing that you must be aware of is that you might lose all of your personal data; you see this is a complex and risky operation and even though it is unlikely to lose the data while applying the official Android 4.1.2 OS on your Galaxy S2, you still can’t be 100% sure that nothing bad will happen. So, I recommend you to make a full backup along with a Nandroid backup as in this way you can be sure that everything will be fine.
After completing the backup, all you have to do is to prepare your handset for the flashing operation. You can do this by applying the pre requisites, which are being listed below.
- You need to have access to a Windows running computer as some files will have to be downloaded to the same. Also, you will have to install a few things on your PC.
- The Galaxy S2 and its USB cable will be used too.
- In order to make things right and for avoiding the unpleasant situations you need to deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection (along with any other security programs) from both computer and smartphone.
- Also, you have to enable the USB debugging option on your phone, or else you will not be able to properly connect it with your PC.
- Furthermore, it is recommended to charge your device; if it gets turned off during the flashing procedure, you will risk in bricking its system.
- This guide has been developed and will work only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100; don’t try to use the next steps for installing the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS Firmware on a similar device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS Firmware
- Download and install Odin on your computer.
- Download the update file; get the software from here.
- Extract the ROM on the PC, preferable on Desktop.
- Install the S2 drivers on your computer before going any further; you can use Samsung KIES for this.
- Open Odin on your computer.
- Then, you need to put your phone into download mode.
- In order to do that, first turn it off; then reboot by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Menu buttons together.
- With the handset booted into download mode, connect the device with the computer (via USB cord).
- Once the connection is establish, on Odin the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will be yellow, or blue.
- Note: if not, you will have to re-install the S2 drivers on your PC; just close Odin, unplug the USB cable and use KIES once more.
- From Odin click on “PDA”.
- Then pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Leave the Re-partition box unchecked and don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on “start” and wait while the software is being flashed.
- When it’s over, the “pass” message will be displayed, which means that you can safely unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
- Note 2: if in the end your S2 will get stuck in a boot loop, then you will have to boot into recovery (press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time –after turning off your phone) and select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”; then reboot and that’s it.
- Note 3: if Odin gets stuck while the flashing operation is running, you need to close the program, disconnect your phone, reinstall the drivers on the PC, force restart the handset and reboot it into download mode again, run Odin and connect the handset with the computer once more; then you care resume the update process.
There you have it; that was how you can easily manually update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS Firmware. The OS should be stable and without bugs or issues, but test the software and share your impressions with us during the comments section from below.