Update Galaxy S2 I9100G with LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM
Even though the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware isn’t yet officially available, thanks to those of xda-developers we can update our devices with the same via suitable custom ROMs. If you own the Galaxy S2 I9100G and looking for a new Jelly Bean based firmware, then you must check the LiquidSmooth software, which had just been rolled out. The platform brings the latest Android 4.2.2 OS along with many stock and extra features, apps and capabilities that will smoothly work on your Galaxy S2 which means that if you choose to apply the present step by step guide, you will be enjoying a better and more stable Android experience.
First of all, before detailing on how to update your Galaxy S2 you should read some general aspects related to the LiquidSmooth ROM and then you should prepare your phone for the flashing operation. Don’t worry as you have all the info needed presented below; check the same and try not to mess things up by applying something without consulting my indications.
LiquidSmooth, like any other custom ROM, is a free aftermarket distribution of the Android system, meaning that it is not a stock software. So, the OS is being developed by third party devs who are trying to improve the classic version of the Jelly Bean firmware (in our case) by adding custom and extra (that cannot be found in the default version of the JB OS) features, apps and tools. Therefore, by updating your Galaxy S2 I9100G with the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based custom ROM you will be able to improve the performances of your handset and also you will be able to gain more access to its internal system as everything will be opened for changes and improvements.
Now, if you want to learn more about the LiquidSmooth firmware you should check our source page by going here. Then, resume the rest of the tutorial only after consulting our “how to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G” page. In this way you can be sure that you are making the best decision. During the following lines, actually during the next list, I will show you how to prepare your phone for the installation procedure that will shortly follow. Don’t skip this section as it is the most relevant one.
- Root your Galaxy S2 as your phone must be unlocked; else you cannot flash a custom ROM into its system. For completing the root operation you can use: a one click root solution suitable with several Samsung branded devices, or a general root procedure developed to work for almost all the Android based devices.
- The warranty will get void as you will remove the factory restriction from your S2. Therefore, once you start the rooting process you will be by yourselves.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading / updating to stock / official Android OS; also then the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked, so all the factory restrictions will be re-installed on your Galaxy S2.
- After setting free your phone you need to install a custom recovery image into its system. Flash CWM recovery because it is the most popular custom recovery for Android.
- Make a full backup for saving your personal data and info such as: market apps, EFS folder, internet settings, call logs, contacts list, text messages or calendar info.
- You can use the recovery image for saving the current ROM (do a Nandroid backup); in this way if you don’t like the LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM you will be able to restore the stock firmware.
Those were the steps that must be completed if you want to successfully prepare your S2 for the update operation that will follow. Before beginning the same, you also need to ensure that you can access a computer or notebook because the update file has to be downloaded on a PC first. Then, you will need to use your handset and its USB cord. Furthermore, for avoiding the unpleasant situations you need to: enable the USB debugging option on your device, charge its battery (if there is less than 60% power left – else your SGS2 might get turned off in the middle of the flashing procedure) and deactivate all the security tools that are being installed on both computer and smartphone (antivirus and Firewall protection included).
Finally, take note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100G. Don’t use this tutorial for installing the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based LiquidSmooth custom ROM on a different handset as you will brick your device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100G with LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the update file from here and the Google Apps package from here.
- Don’t extract the files, just save them on your PC.
- Take the USB cord and by using it connect your Galaxy S2 with the computer.
- Select the downloaded files and place them on your phone’s SD card (copy-paste or drag and drop).
- You can disconnect your device now.
- Turn the S2 off and reboot into recovery mode.
- From recovery mode first wipe the system: select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the same; then repeat the procedure and install the Google Apps package too.
- You need to wipe the data once more so select “wipe data factory reset” – else you will be stuck in a boot loop.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
So there you have it; that was how you can update your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with the LiquidSmooth custom ROM firmware. Now, you should test the software in order to see how it performs on your phone. Then, feel free and share your impressions with us and with other user that might want to try the LiquidSmooth platform.