Update Galaxy S2 I9100P to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLSK OS
Samsung recently rolled out the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OTA update for the Galaxy S2 I9100P devices, meaning that now almost all the SGS2 versions can be installed with the latest version of the Android system. Anyway, if you haven’t received the Jelly Bean flavor yet, or if you need to use a manual method for being able to flash the Android 4.1.2 firmware on your Galaxy S2 GT I9100P, then follow and complete the present step by step guide; the same will teach you how to manually flash the stock / official XXLSK software on your smartphone.
Take note that this is a major update for your Galaxy S2 as all the Jelly Bean features and apps will be ported to your device. Furthermore, since we are talking about such an OS improvement, maybe it will be a better idea to manually install the same on your S2 than to use the classic OTA, or KIES procedure. Also, the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLSK software is the official update released by Samsung for the Galaxy S2 I9100P smartphone, so the ROM will be rolled out gradually, meaning that not all the users will receive the firmware at the same time.
Beside these facts, you must also know that if you own a rooted device, or if your phone has been updated with a custom ROM firmware, then you will not be able to OTA, or by using KIES install the stock Android 4.1.2 system on your SGS2. So, considering the up mentioned aspects, this manual update procedure can be, and will be, extremely helpful for you.
You shouldn’t worry, as we are dealing with the official release of the Jelly Bean platform; therefore by completing this step by step guide you will not void the Galaxy S2 warranty. But, in case your handset is rooted, now the root access will be revoked (meaning that the warranty will be restored and the internal system relocked). Anyway, you will be able to re-root your phone, but only by applying a suitable root procedure with the new XXLSK OS (or: use a general root operation that can be used for almost all the Android based devices; use a one-click root solution suitable with several Samsung branded handsets) .
Even though we will update your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLSK OS, you still need to prepare your phone first. Else you might not be able to safely flash the firmware. So, begin with a backup operation for saving your personal info and your data that might include the contacts list, call logs, text messages, EFS folder market apps and so on. Also, if you have a rooted device, then I do recommend you to apply a Nandroid backup too. Do not skip the backup procedure because a wipe of the system might be required which means that you can end up in losing all of your personal saves.
Then, continue the preparation tasks by: ensuring that a Windows running computer is near you; do the same with your phone and with its USB cable; enable the USB debugging option on your device by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”; deactivate all the security programs that are running on both computer and handset (these tools might interfere with the update process); charge the battery of your S2 if you notice that there is only, or less than, 60% power left (else the phone might get turned off while the firmware is being installed).
Finally, be aware as this tutorial is being suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100P, which means that the steps from below are compatible only with the mentioned phone. Don’t try to flash the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLSK OS on a similar handset as you will risk in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100P to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLSK OS
- First, on your computer you must download Samsung KIES and install the Galaxy S2 drivers. You can skip this step if the drivers are already installed on your computer.
- Then, download and install Odin on your PC.
- Next, download the update file from here; extract the same on your computer (preferable on the desktop).
- On the PC open Odin.
- Turn off your phone as you need to boot it into download mode.
- For that, press and hold Power, Volume Down and Menu buttons at the same time, for a few seconds until the download mode is being displayed.
- Then, connect the S2 with the computer via USB cable.
- Now, you should take a look on Odin: the “added” message must be displayed and the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- If not, reinstall the drivers on your computer and repeat the steps from below.
- If everything is working as expected, then from Odin click on “PDA”.
- Pick the update file from the Desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; make sure that the Re-partition option is un-checked.
- Click on “start” to begin the flashing operation.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed; you can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
First of all, if during the steps and while you are trying to apply the firmware, Odin gets stuck, you need to do the following:
- First, close Odin.
- Then, unplug the USB cable.
- Next, re-install the drivers on your computer.
- And, re-open Odin on the PC.
- Force restart the Galaxy S2 and reboot into download mode.
- Re-connect the handset with the computer and repeat the rest of the steps from above.
Then, if in the end, after using Odin, and when finally rebooting your phone, you will notice that your S2 is stuck in a boot loop, you need to apply:
- Reboot your SGS2 into recovery mode.
- For that press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Menu buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Also, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Done, your device will reboot into Jelly Bean OS.
That was all; now your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P should be running on the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLSK software. Test the OS and share your impressions about its features and capabilities with us. Also, do tell if you have noticed any improvements, or issues, in the Jelly Bean firmware; use the comments area from below as we will be there too.