Galaxy S2 I9100P just received a new OTA update and even though it is not Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, the XXLSU firmware comes to improve the previous Android system that was running on the SGS2. So, we are dealing with the same Jelly Bean 4.1.2 platform so no major changes for us so far. The new official JB 4.1.2 XXLSU OS brings bug fixes and few features and apps that will make the Android ROM more stable and smooth. Well, if you need to manually flash the update on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P use this tutorial and complete the guidelines from below.
The XXLSU firmware has been OTA rolled out by Samsung in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and UK. For any other regions you will have to manually install JB 4.1.2 on your Galaxy S2 I9100P. Also the manual procedure will be required for those who have rooted their devices as on unlocked devices the OTA releases can’t be received or applied. This step by step guide should be bookmarked as we have the stock Android software which means that you can flash the same each time you aren’t satisfied by a custom ROM, or when trying to restore the S2 warranty.
So far we have mentioned some important aspects that are related to the present operation. So, let’s resume what we know so far: on rooted phones you cannot OTA apply updates, by flashing the stock Android OS you can restore the warranty though root access will get revoked, this guide will teach you how to manually install JB 4.1.2 XXLSU firmware on the Galaxy S2 model number I9100P that hasn’t received the notification yet. Furthermore, in addition you should know that the guidelines from below can be used on both rooted and locked handsets and that Odin will be used on the flashing operation.
That’s pretty much all to know about this tutorial. As for the pre requisites, you need to:
- Backup the data that is saved on the internal storage of your phone.
- Odin will be used, so you don’t have to take care of complex and risky operations.
- Even though you will flash the update via Odin and even though we are dealing with an official software, you still have to complete the backup. You might end up in losing your personal info and accounts, so save everything that matters for you.
- After backing up the Galaxy S2 data, make sure that you can use a computer.
- Since the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLSU firmware will be downloaded on the computer, there shouldn’t be running or installed any security programs: uninstall or deactivate the antivirus or antimalware tools.
- The update operation will take a while so if your phone has little power left, it might get turned off in the middle of the flashing process; in order to avoid that, if there is less than 60% power left, first charge your smartphone.
- Of course, your SGS2 I9100P device should be near you; its USB cable is also required.
- You will connect your device with the computer for transferring the update file; because of that, first go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
Remember that JB 4.1.2 XXLSU has been released only in limited markets – apply the manual method for installing the ROM only if you have the I9100P version of the Galaxy S2 or else the steps from below will not work for your Android based handset (worst you can even end up in bricking your beloved phone or tablet). Good; you can safely begin the proper step by step guide now, but be careful and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100P to Official JB 4.1.2 with new XXLSU Firmware
- Download the I9100PXXLSU update file from here and save the update on your computer – place the file on desktop.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Download Samsung KIES. Install the tool on your computer and use the same for flashing the Galaxy S2 drivers on the PC – skip this step if you already installed the drivers.
- Download Odin.
- Unzip the program and install it on your computer.
- In the end, run Odin.
- Turn off your phone because you need to enter your device into download mode.
- After turning off, for download mode, do the following: press and hold simultaneously the power, volume down and home buttons (for a few seconds then release the buttons; download mode should be displayed).
- Connect your phone with the computer – use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Now, the “added” message should be displayed on Odin while the ID:COM section from the same program should be either yellow or blue.
- If not, repeat the steps from above but first reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- All you have to do now is to select the PDA option.
- Then, you will have to pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while JB 4.1.2 is installed on your SGS2.
- Finally, when the update process ends (the “pass” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn green) you can remove the USB cable and reboot your phone.
There are situations when Odin gets stuck; if you are experiencing the same, then close Odin, unplug the USB cord and force restart your handset. Then, return to this guide and apply the steps from the beginning. Similar, your S2 might get stuck in a boot loop; in this case try to reboot into recovery mode. Then from the recovery mode menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Reboot and everything should be working as planned.
Good job, you have completed the step by step guide. So, now you know how to manually install the official XXLSU release of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P. Stay close to us as we will bring more suitable guides for your phone along with useful Android related tips and tricks.