ParanoidAndroid is a powerful custom ROM that comes with great optimization and customization options. Furthermore, the latest version of the platform comes with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS pre-installed – a custom version of the mentioned firmware as the ROM brings stock and custom features and looks. The best is that now the new JB 4.2.2 based Paranoid Android software has been made available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 device, meaning that by using this guide you will be able to learn how to easily flash the update on your phone.
But in order to install the ParanoidAndroid firmware on your Galaxy S2 I9100, first you will have to take care of some things. I am talking about the essential and general pre requisites. Without completing all the guidelines from below you will risk in messing things up which leads to unpleasant situations like having a bricked smartphone. So, in order to make things right, do read all the lines from below and apply all the operations described. Then, resume the final steps that will show you how to update the S2 I9100 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Paranoid Android custom ROM.
As mentioned the ParanoidAndroid brings a custom and modified version of JB 4.2.2 to your Galaxy S2 I9100. So this is not an official update – for stock firmware check our “update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100” section. As you might know, when dealing with unofficial updates, you need to have a rooted smartphone. The Paranoid Android software will require access to the internal system of your handset and the mentioned access can be gained only by rooting the OS. Therefore, before going any further use a suitable guide for gaining root access on your Galaxy S2.
After that, consider in installing a custom recovery image on your device. CWM recovery is one of the most popular custom recovery for Android, so I recommend you to flash the same tool on your S2. CWM recovery will then be used for wiping the system of your phone and for installing the ParanoidAndroid custom ROM into its system. It’s extremely important to replace the stock recovery with a custom one, so don’t skip this step. Also, do note that CWM recovery or any other custom recovery image can be installed only on rooted handsets.
Since a wipe will be required, a backup is recommended. It will be important to save the data that is stored on the internal storage memory before starting the update operation; else you will notice that your contacts list, call logs, messages, market apps, EFS folder and so on has been erased. Since your device is rooted and installed with CWM recovery, use the custom recovery for applying a Nandroid backup too – in this way you can save / restore when needed the stock Android OS.
Because ParanoidAndroid Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM is an unofficial update, after flashing the software on your Galaxy S2, the warranty of your device will get void. If somehow isn’t working as expected, or if you mess things up and end in bricking your handset, you will be by yourselves. For the future, if you will need so, the warranty can be restored; you will have to downgrade your S2 to stock Android OS, or you will have to update with an official release of the Android system.
Finally, apply this guide only if you have the I9100 version of the Samsung Galaxy S2. This variant of Paranoid Android JB 4.2.2 can be flashed through the procedure from below (the guide is compatible only with the mentioned phone) only on the mentioned device. Good, now ensure that you can use a computer on which you should deactivate the Firewall protection or any other security protection that might be featured. On your phone USB debugging option must be enabled (go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”) while the battery status must indicate more than 60% power left – charge the battery if different.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 with ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the firmware file from here.
- Optional download Google apps package from here; the package is not included on the update file so you will have to install Google apps manually.
- Save the downloaded files on your computer; don’t unzip the files just place them on desktop.
- Connect your S2 with the computer and then transfer the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and disconnect the devices.
- Turn off your phone – wait a few seconds before resuming the next steps.
- Reboot your handset in recovery mode.
- From recovery wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery mode.
- And by using the main menu select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the same.
- Also pick Google apps package and install the same.
- Wait while the flashing process is running.
- Finally, when the update is ready, you can return to recovery for selecting “reboot system now”.
- In case your handset will get stuck on a boot loop, enter recovery mode once more and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Perfect, you are done. Your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has been successfully updated to custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with ParanoidAndroid custom ROM firmware. That was all for today, but stay close for further tutorials, tips and Android related tricks.