Update Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 to Official JB 4.2.2 OS with XXUBMH4 Firmware
Samsung released a new OTA update in Russia, the firmware being offered to the Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 users. Since Android 4.3 is out of question, the update comes with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 so only minor improvements added on the system. Anyhow, the software is coming with stability improvements and with bug fixes for providing a more stable Jelly Bean experience, so I do recommend you to flash the OTA XXUBMH4 OS if possible. But if you are outside Russia, or if you haven’t received the notification by now, a manual installation guide will be perfect.
The same can be achieved by completing the present tutorial because I will try to teach you how to easily and manually update your Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I99105 to stock, official and latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. The new ROM is dubbed as XXUBMH4 and has been ITA offered only in Russia – the manual guide can be used by all the S2 Plus users though. The manual update procedure should also be used by those who have a rooted smartphone because on rooted devices the OTA updates can’t be received or applied.
The best when trying to manually apply official ROMs is that root access isn’t required. As you know, if talking about Samsung branded devices, usually on these operations Odin is used. The same is applying for the present step by step guide, which means that root or CWM recovery isn’t required on your S2 Plus. The JB 4.2.2 XXUBMH4 OS can be easily flashed on your phone without dealing with complex, risky and unofficial process.
Regarding to the same aspects, if your phone is currently rooted, now you will be able to revoke the root access. So, as a conclusion, the warranty of your Galaxy S2 Plus will be restored while the stock Android Jelly Bean firmware will be reinstalled. In case your handset is overclocked, now the overclock capability will be lost as well as for the bootloader which will be relocked. Your device will be restored to its default state, though now Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software will be running on your Galaxy S2 Plus.
On the pre requisites side, you should take care only of the backup aspect. You can never be too careful when it comes to your personal data, info and accounts and since we will manually update your Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus to official JB 4.2.2 XXUBMH4 firmware a backup is recommended. You don’t like to lose your personal stuffs, so don’t skip this section as that might happen as the data which is saved on the internal storage memory might get wiped out or erased.
On the other hand, since Odin works only on Windows based devices, you should have access to a Windows powered computer or notebook. On the same you should deactivate the Firewall protection and any other security protection because the antivirus programs might interfere or interrupt the update operation. Your phone must be charged if now you notice that there is only 60% power left. The USB debugging option must be checked on your handset; if not go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the same. Then return here and resume the rest of the steps from below.
Do note that this step by step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus model number I9105 because Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMH4 firmware has been rolled out only for the same. Applying the process from below on a different or similar handset will probably brick your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 to Official JB 4.2.2 OS with XXUBMH4 Firmware
- Download Samsung KIES on your computer because the S2 Plus drivers must be installed. Skip this step if the drivers are already on your computer.
- Download Odin; unzip and install the program on the PC.
- Download the XXUBMH4 package from here; unzip the file on desktop.
- Launch Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your S2 and wait a few seconds.
- Then press Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time for booting into download mode.
- Connect your handset with the computer by using the USB cable.
- If on Odin the “added” message is displayed and the ID:COM section is either yellow or blue you can proceed to the next steps; if not, close Odin, unplug the USB cable, reinstall the drivers and repeat the steps from above until everything is working as explained.
- From Odin select the “PDA” option.
- Leave the Re-partition and f.reset time sections unchecked.
- After pressing on PDA pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Press on “start”.
- After seeing the “pass” message displayed and after checking the ID:COM section which should be green, you should unplug the USB cord.
- Also, reboot your device.
- If your S2 gets stuck in a boot loop, you need to: reboot in recovery mode; select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; return to recovery; select “reboot system now”.
Congratulations you have manually updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105 with the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS that has been rolled out in Russia. The firmware is dubbed as XXUBMH4 so go to “settings -> about phone -> firmware version” and check to see if the same has been successfully flashed. Then, test the software and share the results with us or with other users who might want to use this tutorial but needs a second opinion first.