Update Galaxy S2 Plus I9105P with Official XXUBMI1 JB 4.2.2 Firmware
A new version of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy S2 Plus users, the firmware being dubbed as XXUBMI1. The software is not a major OS improvement therefore don’t expect to receive new features or capabilities on your phone. The JB 4.2.2 XXUBMI1 firmware brings only few bug fixes and stability improvements, so the best will be to update your S2 Plus I9105P with the same. Now, this guide will show you how to manually flash the software on your device, so if you can’t OTA apply the ROM, use the guidelines from below.
What should be clear for you is that Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean dubbed as XXUBMI1 is not a custom ROM. The firmware is official and had just been rolled out by Samsung for the I9105P version of the Galaxy S2 Plus. So, the notification should be spotted any time now. If not, it means that the software hasn’t embraced your device yet, or it might also mean that: the update hasn’t been made available to your region, your phone is rooted or your handset is running on a custom ROM. In that case, you will have to manually update your S2 Plus to official Android 4.2.2.
As mentioned, the present tutorial should be used if the JB 4.2.2 stock firmware hasn’t arrived to your SGS2 Plus, if you have a rooted phone or if you want to downgrade your handset to official Android platform. And since the XXUBMI1 software is official, the warranty of your smartphone will not get void by completing the guidelines from below. Furthermore, the guide can be performed for rooted and un-rooted devices, meaning that the steps from below are compatible with any handset as long as we are talking about the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9105P.
Because you are installing an official Android 4.2.2 OS on a Samsung branded handset, for flashing XXUBMI1 on your Galaxy S2 Plus Odin will be required. Therefore, make sure that you can use a Windows based computer. Odin can be installed and used only on Windows so that’s why you need to ensure the up mentioned task. Up next, and as expected your smartphone and its USB cable must be near you. Since you will have to connect your phone with the computer, the USB debugging option from your device must be enabled. You can check the option by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
The firmware will have to be manually downloaded on your computer; so for avoiding the unpleasant situations, first deactivate the security protection that runs on your computer and Galaxy S2 Plus; also temporarily deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection. This is the manual update operation so completing the same will take a while; that’s why you first have to charge your phone – do that especially if you notice that there is less than 60% power left. Finally, as I have already stated, the present step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus model number I9105P because Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMI1 firmware has been released only for the mentioned device – using this guide for a similar or different handset will most likely brick your Android based smartphone.
Don’t forget about the backup; it’s highly recommended to backup your personal data and info, well at least the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your Galaxy S2 Plus. If something bad happens (like getting stuck in a boot loop) you will have to resolve the issues by wiping the system of your phone. Because of that, before going any further, take your time and save everything that’s important to you – use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play (don’t worry as the tools are free distributed).
How to Update Galaxy S2 Plus I9105P with Official XXUBMI1 JB 4.2.2 Firmware
- Download Odin from here and unzip the package on your computer.
- Then, install and run Odin on your computer.
- After that, download the update file from here and unzip the same on desktop.
- Finally, download Samsung KIES from here. Install the program and by using the same install Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus drivers on your computer. Skip this step if the drivers are already flashed.
- Good, now turn off your phone as download mode must be reached.
- For booting into download mode press volume down, home and power buttons at the same time.
- Connect your handset with the computer.
- Use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Now, Odin will recognize your smartphone; if everything is working as expected on Odin the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn yellow or blue.
- Else, you will have to reinstall the drivers on the computer (after closing Odin and unplugging the USB cable) and then retry the steps from above.
- Perfect, now, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the update file.
- Don’t check the re-partition option from Odin.
- Don’t make any other changes.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while the update operation is running.
- The process will end when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed. Finally, the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Then, you should disconnect the S2 Plus from the computer. Finally reboot your device.
- Note: if your phone will get stuck in a boot loop (if the first boot is taking longer than usual, don’t panic as there is nothing wrong with your phone) you will have to reboot in recovery; by using the recovery menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (this is why you need to previously backup the data); finally select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Similar, if Odin gets stuck, you need to close the program on the computer; unplug the USB cord; force restart your smartphone and reflash the drivers on the computer. Then repeat the update operation from the beginning.
There you have it guys; that was the how to procedure that must be used when trying to manually update the Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus I9105P to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMI1 firmware. The same ROM can be OA applied but only on un-rooted handset. In the end, test the new software in order to see how it works on your device. Is the platform more stable? Are there any bugs? Do share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users too, by using the comments area from below.