The Galaxy S2 GT I9100 smartphone can be updated with the latest version of the Simplistic custom ROM firmware that comes with Note’s 2 Gallery and with the Jelly Bean 4.1 platform, so this tutorial will show you what to do in order to flash the same on your Android based device. I have also presented the features that will be added on your phone along with the pre requisites that must be completed before heading to the proper steps, so you have all the info needed for safely updating the Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with the Simplistic custom ROM.
As usual, when we are talking about a beta firmware, you should make it clear that you are not dealing with an official OS update that is provided by Samsung for your S2. Furthermore, if you want to apply the Simplistic ROM on your device you will have to perform a manual method, updating via KIES or OTA receiving the Android 4.1 software being impossible. So, as soon as you are aware that this is a complex and risky operation we can go further in checking the other aspects related to this topic.
The Jelly Bean based Simplistic ROM come with a friendly user interface and with several features that can easily power up the performances of your smartphone. Some of the features that will be installed on your phone are being presented during the following image; if you want to learn more about this firmware you can anytime check our source page from here. The OS is being developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this step by step guide. Don’t forget to take a look over our previous tutorials as there are more Jelly Bean powered custom ROMs available for your Samsung Galaxy S2. Of course the purpose is to choose the best option for you, so take your time before installing something on your handset.
If you do want to update the SGS2 with the Simplistic firmware, then you must first root the system. The ROM will have to access some internal files in order to work properly, so gaining root access is a must have. The warranty will get void once you complete the mentioned operation so be careful and try not to brick the phone. Also, don’t worry as you can restore the warranty as soon as you downgrade to the stock ROM. Next, after unchaining the system, you need to download and install a custom recovery image for your S2. CWM recovery is what I recommend as it is the most popular recovery tool used by Android users worldwide.
The CWM recovery app will be used for the updating process. Therefore a wipe of the system will be required. So, you must first backup the SGS2 contacts, messages, call logs, internet saves, EFS, and everything else you need to. For easing your work, I recommend you to use one of our backup and restore tutorials. Just search for the same through our how to section and you will find there everything you need for saving almost everything from your device.
You are almost done with the pre requisites. The last part that is related with the preparation section is being summarized during the next list. Go and take care of the same and in the end your handset will be prepared for the update operation that will follow.
- First, make sure you have rooted the OS, installed the CWM recovery tool and backed up the data of your Galaxy S2. Else the Jelly Bean based Simplistic custom ROM will not work on your device.
- Then, make sure you can use a Windows running computer and the phone’s USB cord.
- On both computer and smartphone uninstall the antivirus protection and deactivate the Firewall one; else the update procedure might get interrupted.
- Charge the battery or ensure that there is at least 60% power left; else your phone might get turned off in the middle of the operation.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the last option.
- You should apply this method only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number GT I9100 and not for similar handsets as you can end up in bricking your Android based devices.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 with Simplistic Jelly Bean 4.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- You can download the ROM file from here.
- Save the same to the computer first.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the device with the PC.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- You can safely remove the USB cable as we are done with the computer.
- Now, turn off the S2 and reboot in recovery mode for being able to flash the update.
- For recovery you need to press and hold the Volume Up button, the Home key and the Power button at the same time until the recovery menu is being displayed.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (remember to backup the data before performing this step).
- Return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the ROM file from the SD card and flash the same.
- Wait as the process will take a couple of minutes.
- In the end from recovery select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and that’s it.
As you can see updating the Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS with Simplistic custom ROM firmware is not hard, the pre requisites being more numerous than the actual steps. But, now your phone should be powered by a new platform, so test it and share your impressions with us and, of course, with other users too. You can use the comments area from below for that.