How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 to XXLPS ICS 4.0.3
One more ROM has been leaked for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT i9100 and it comes with a few improvements over the last one. Fortunately the new XXLPS 4.0.3 ICS firmware doesn’t come with bootloaders, so it can be safely flashed on your device. Also the device does not have to be rooted in order to update to XXLPS and neither after flashing it. Though after you flash the new ICS 4.0.3 firmware, your Galaxy S2 will not be rooted anymore, so you will have to read our guide to root it.
Preparing to update your Samsung Galaxy S2
- Download the XXLPS firmware update from here.
- Download Odin 3 v1.85 here.
- Extract XXLPS and Odin packages.
- Make sure your device’s battery is at least at 80% before starting the upgrade, because otherwise it might turn off and brick.
- Disable the antivirus and security suites from your computer to make sure the update doesn’t get interrupted by them.
- While your phone is disconnected from the computer, go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging and tick “USB debugging.”
Backup your Galaxy S2
- SMS – Backup & Restore.
- Contacts – Sync with Gmail.
- Call Log – Call Logs Backup and Restore.
- Copy all media files to either the internal or external SD card.
- Note your APN and MMS settings to know how to configure them again after the update.
Begin Samsung Galaxy S2 update with XXLPS ICS 4.0.3 firmware
If you already downloaded and extracted the required files already, you can now begin upgrading your smartphone.
Turn off your smartphone and then boot it into download mode by holding the Volume Down key, Center button and power button simultaneously. After the phone boots in download mode, you can launch odin and connect your smartphone to the computer using the USB cable. To confirm that the device is connected, you should see the ID: COM section in Odin turn yellow.
If it doesn’t turn yellow, then you have to install the proper USB drivers on your computer and change your phone’s usb settings like this: Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings and tick “Samsung Kies” if it’s not already ticked. Now you should be able to connect the phone to the computer. So if now the ID: COM section turns yellow, you can proceed with the update.
In Odin Click PDA and select “I9100XXLPS_I9100OXALPS_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5″, but make sure you don’t change anything else. It is very important not to check or modify any other settings in Odin, otherwise you might brick your Galaxy S2 ! If you did everything right, then you can start the update.
After the update finishes your device will reboot and you will be able to see the phone screen. Now you have to turn off your device and boot it in recovery mode. To boot in recovery mode hold the Volume Up key, Center button and power button simultaneously. After you enter recovery mode, select Wipe Cache / Factory Reset and choose Yes. After that Select Wipe Cache Partition and choose yes.
Now select the “reboot system now” option and your phone should boot running the new XXLPS firmware.
If everything goes wrong during the update, restart the process and try to update it again. But please note that you shouldn’t stop your update for any reason once started because it might damage your device.
Please let us know how does XXLPS work on your Galaxy S2.