Since the official Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXELL4 OS update has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S3 devices (use this step by step guide for learning how to install the same on your SGS3) there are numerous custom ROMs developed by third party devs, so you can choose from a long list of updates. Anyway, you should be careful before flashing something on your phone as not all the upgrades are being stable ones. The DarkyROM III Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM might be the perfect OS improvement for your Galaxy S3 I9300, as the platform is coming with a new user interface and with many and powerful features and capabilities.
Now, if you want to update the Galaxy S3 with the Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXELL4 based DarkyROM III software you need to complete this tutorial. Applying this procedure will be easy, but you will have to take care of a lot of stuffs before going any further. I am referring to the pre requisites list (which is being detailed below) that must be checked out in order to properly prepare the handset for the update operation that will shortly follow.
But first it must be clear for you that this Android 4.1.2 based firmware isn’t an official update launched for your Samsung Galaxy S3. The xda-developers are the ones who made available the DarkyROM III Jelly Bean OS, so we have them to thanks for this step by step guide. Now, as mentioned the update is coming with many features and new capabilities that will smoothly work on your SGS3, but if you want to learn more about this ROM, just take a look over our source page by heading here.
As promised, next you have the pre requisites list. But before getting started, you must know that by completing this method you will lose the warranty of your Galaxy S3. We are dealing with a custom ROM and not with an official software, so as you will see below, you will have to make some changes on the internal system of your device which means that the warranty will get void. Don’t worry though as if you stick to this guide nothing bad will happen.
- Backup the SGS3 data; save everything you need to, starting with the contacts, text messages, call logs, market apps and ending with internet settings and EFS.
- Also, make a Nandroid backup. In this way if something bad happens or if you don’t like the DarkyROM III Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware you will be able to restore the stock OS.
- Then, gain root access for your phone. By making this you will unchain the system from the factory restrictions, the same being required if you want to successfully install the DarkyROM system.
- After rooting, install a custom recovery image on your device. This is a complex tool that can be used for making Nandroid backups, maintenance operations, wipe tasks and in our case applying unofficial firmware.
- Remember that the warranty will get void; you can restore the same by updating with an official software or by downgrading to the stock ROM.
After completing the above list, ensure that you can use a computer, where you will have to download some files. That means the USB cord and your S3 should also be near you. Uninstall all the security tools that are running on your Galaxy S3 and enable the USB debugging option from your handset. Take a look over the battery status and if you notice that there is less than 60% power left take the charger and plug it in. Else, the device might get turned off in the middle of the update and you will risk in bricking it. Also it is important to apply this guide only if you own the Galaxy S3 model number I9300 because if different you will end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S3 with DarkyROM III Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware
- Use the computer and download the update file from here.
- Then, connect the handset with the computer; use the USB cord for that.
- Select the update file and copy paste it from the PC to the SD card of your smartphone.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Turn the S3 off.
- Then reboot by pressing the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time.
- The recovery menu should now be displayed.
- By using the same select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- When done, select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu.
- Now, you can finally start the update operation; select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Wait until the process ends and select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have succeeded in installing the DarkyROM III Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Test the software and share your impressions with us and with other users.
In case the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic as this is a normal thing to happen. Also, if you don’t like the new OS, or if you rather prefer the stock one you can anytime restore the same. All you need to do is to reboot in recovery again for restoring the stock system. Of course you can do this only if you have previously performed a Nandroid backup.