Update Galaxy S3 i9300 with Glance S4 Custom ROM (based on Galaxy S4 UI)
Do you have the Galaxy S3, but want to get the latest phone from Samsung? Well, now you can do that without buying the Galaxy S4; well, as strange as it sounds, thanks to those of xda-developers now you can port the Galaxy S4 UI, apps, features and capabilities to your Samsung Galaxy S3. Of course, I am talking about a new custom ROM firmware, which by the way had just been released for you. The ROM is dubbed as Glance S4, is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and you can learn how to flash the same on your SGS3 by following and applying the guidelines from below.
As already mentioned, the Glance S4 custom ROM is based on the Galaxy S4 UI, so it comes with all the features, apps, capabilities and looks that are installed on Samsung’s latest flagship. The best is that now you can update the same on your Galaxy S3. Therefore, if you want your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to look and perform just like its older brother, the S4, don’t hesitate and install the Glance S4 firmware on your smartphone. Don’t worry as this tutorial will easily take you through the flashing operation.
As usual, you should know what a custom ROM means; in a few words, here is what it should be clear for you: Glance S4 is developed by third party devs and not by Samsung or Google, so it is not an official update; Glance S4 is a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS; the firmware is coming with stock and extra features that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system; the software can be only manually applied, by using a suitable step by step guide, just like the present one.
Now, if you do want to test the Galaxy S4 based UI, Glance S4 Android 4.2.2 JB firmware on your Galaxy S3, then you will first have to:
- Root your smartphone because a custom ROM can be installed only on unchained devices. So, gain root access for removing the factory and default restrictions from your phone.
- Then, as soon as root access is granted, install a custom recovery image on your device. Usually it is recommended to flash CWM or TWRP recovery, but you can choose to apply any custom recovery image you prefer.
- Backup the SGS3 data – for being able to apply the software a wipe will be required. Therefore, if you don’t want to lose your personal data, info and accounts from the internal storage memory, consider in backing up the contacts list, call logs, EFS folder, market apps and everything else you might need.
All these procedures are essential as you cannot complete this tutorial without previously performing the up mentioned and detailed operations. Anyway, unfortunately, by rooting your phone, you will lose the Galaxy S3 warranty. So, if your phone gets bricked you will not be able to return it to your carrier, or retail – you will be by yourselves. The best is that you can choose to restore the warranty. In order to do so, the stock Android firmware must be applied, or you need to update with an official version of the same (hopefully Android 4.3 Jelly Bean soon). Just remember that on rooted handsets the OTA released can be installed only manually.
On the other hand, for being able to update your Galaxy S3 to Glance S4 custom ROM firmware, you will have to use a computer and your phone’s USB cord. Because we are dealing with an unofficial operation and because you will download the update file manually, on your computer deactivate or uninstall the security programs. Enable USB debugging option (if you don’t know how follow “settings -> applications -> development”) and charge your phone in case it has less than 50% power left. If your device gets turned off in the middle of the installation procedure, your S3 might get bricked.
The Glance S4 is compatible with the latest XXUFME3 and XXUFME7 versions of firmwares that have been OTA rolled out for your Samsung Galaxy S3. Furthermore, this tutorial is compatible only with the I9300 version of the SGS3, so don’t use the next steps if you own a similar or different Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy S3 i9300 with Glance S4 Custom ROM Firmware (based on Galaxy S4 UI)
- As you can already tell, on the first step, the Glance S4 software must be downloaded.
- So, go here and get the firmware.
- Save it on your computer; preferable on desktop.
- Don’t unzip the file.
- Use the USB cable and your Galaxy S3 and connect the device with your computer.
- Then, copy-paste or drag and drop the update file from your computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off your S3.
- Reboot in recovery.
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Choose “advance” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file.
- Install the same.
- In the end reboot your smartphone.
- If a boot loop is what you get, return to recovery menu and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; reboot. If the problem is still there try to repeat the update procedure from the beginning.
Good job, you are done. The Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 has been successfully installed with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS powered Glance S4 Custom ROM firmware. Remember that this software is based on the Samsung Galaxy S4 UI, so test the new features, apps and capabilities and then return here for sharing the results and your impressions with us.