Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.0.4 with Omega Custom ROM Firmware
Several weeks before release the Galaxy S3 has already been rooted and its XXALE8 Android 4.0.4 firmware supports the installation of a new custom ROM and XDA developer
With SGS3 being announced on May the 3rd there was only a matter of time before Android developers would get their hands on them for testing. Also, we could only hope that someone, somewhere would manage to create a working custom ROM for the Galaxy S3 and these are teh guys at Omega who managed to create a working tutorial guide for the Galaxy S3.
You can use the instructions listed in this post to update the S3 immediately after you receive it. This guide teaches you how to properly install and Omega custom ROM firmware and update your SGS3 to Android 4.0.4 based on XXALE8 firmware.
Omega custom ROM XXALE8 Android 4.0.4 ICS has been deodexed, rooted and zipaligned. It wasn’t fully tested as the team still doesn’t own a SGS3 deviec but it has been confirmed by the XDA community that this ROM works. So, you should expect working S Voice, S Beam and all the other Galaxy S3 ‘exclusive’ apps to work after you’ve installed the new firmware ROM.
Before flashing this new update you should read the following guidelines:
- you should backup your important files. Click the following links and you will find guides on how to backup apps, sms and call logs information: AppBack to backup and restore applications | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- enable USB debugging.
- make sure that the device’s battery is fully charged.
- it has to be rooted and running the XXALE8 kernel firmware. Follow this link here to learn how to successfully root it.
- save the internet and MMS settings.
That’s all you had to know. Now move to the tutorial guide and learn how to install a custom ROM firmware on SGS3.
Remember that we cannot be held responsible for any problems or bugs your phone might develop after changing its firmware. Also, remember that these updating process wasn’t fully tested and not all applications will work after the OMEGA custom ROM installs successfully. Use the comments section to post all your questions or any tips and tricks regarding SGS3. Here’s what steps you need to take in order to install a custom ROM on S3 phone.
How to update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich with Omega Custom ROM firmware:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here. It’s the developers own page and you can click any download link. Save the file on your PC.
- Now connect the device to your PC and place the ROM firmware zip file on its internal sdcard.
- Power off the phone and then boot it into recovery mode.
- When recovery mode main menu appears you should select ‘wipe data/factory reset’.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the Omega custom ROM zip file and then confirm that you wish to install the new firmware.
- Wait for the update to be flashed and when that happens you will need to select ‘++GO back++’.
- Now select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the Galaxy S3 to complete its first boot.
- If everything went accordingly to plan then you should see the S3 home screen and you’re free to add your Google account. Note that in case the first boot doesn’t complete correctly then you will have to remove the battery and after that re-insert it, boot into recovery and repeat all the steps I’ve listed above.
If you have any more questions then please feel free to post them in our comments field. Also, if you have other Samsung Galaxy S3 tips & tricks then you can use the same comments section and tells us about them.
Watch the video below to see it running on our Galaxy S3 i9300: