Update Galaxy S3 GT I9305 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBLL3 OS
The Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBLL3 official update has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305 devices and today, during the present tutorial we will be checking on how to manually install the stock firmware on your Galaxy S3. So, if you haven’t received the OTA update until now, or if you need to manually flash the software, then this step by step guide will be perfect for you. Anyway, check the following lines for further details and head to the steps from below for checking if a suitable ROM is being available for your Galaxy S3 I9305 or not (the Jelly Bean OS has been rolled out in limited markets only).
Before starting the manual flashing procedure here is what you need to know: this is a complex, and possible risky operation. You shouldn’t complete things without consulting this tutorial as you can end up in bricking your Galaxy S3. Therefore do read all the lines from below for ensuring that everything will go as planned. Also, you must first prepare your handset or else you will not be able to apply the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 software into its system. So, you have the pre requisites which are being the most relevant part of the present step by step guide (you have the preparation tasks explained below; don’t skip them).
As you are about to install the stock Android 4.1.2 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3, by completing this tutorial, the warranty of your device will not get void. Actually, if your S3 is rooted or installed with a custom ROM firmware, now you will be able to restore its warranty and re-joy the default Jelly Bean flavor. Unfortunately, if you have an unchained handset, after applying the Jelly Bean update, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked, so you will have to re-root your SGS3 afterwards and this by following a root guide that is suitable with the new XXBLL3 firmware.
Now, for the present operation we will use Odin. This means that there are few chances to risk something while flashing the official software on your phone. But, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations it is recommended to backup the Galaxy S3 data before going any further. Use dedicated backup and restore apps for saving the contacts, messages, call logs, market apps, EFS folder, internet settings and if your phone is installed with a custom recovery image, use the same for applying a Nandroid backup as well.
Next, after ensuring that your personal info are in safe hands, do perform the following: enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone (you can do this by going to path “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”); charge your phone (if there is less than 60% power left) or else it might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation – if that happens you will risk in bricking your device; ensure that you can use a Windows running computer, your S3 and its USB cable; deactivate the security tools and antivirus and Firewall protection from your computer and smartphone because these programs might interfere with the update operation.
Take note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number GT I9305. Therefore, don’t try to use this tutorial for applying the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXBLL3 OS on a similar or different handset because you will end up in bricking your device.
Now before starting the proper guide, on your computer download the firmware suitable with your version of the Galaxy S3; use the links from the following list:
- For the Unlocked / Unbranded handsets the download link is here.
- For Austria (A1 Telekom) you can get the Jelly Bean firmware from here.
- For Denmark (Three) the software file can be downloaded from here.
- For Greece (Cosmote) use the link from here.
- For Hungary (T-mobile) go here and get the Android 4.1.2 XXBLL3 OS.
- For Poland (PLUS) the download link in on this page.
- For Portugal (Vodafone) you can use this link.
- For Switzerland (Swisscom) you should go here.
How to manually Update Galaxy S3 GT I9305 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBLL3 OS
- First of all, after downloading the firmware file on your computer, you need to make sure that the Galaxy S3 drivers are being installed on the same.
- So, download and install Samsung KIES on your computer (skip this step if the drivers are already installed).
- Then, download and install Odin on your PC.
- Extract the update file on Desktop.
- On your computer open Odin.
- Now, turn off your S3.
- Reboot into download mode: press and hold Power Volume Down and OK buttons at the same time.
- Connect the handset with your PC and take a look on Odin.
- You should notice that the “added” message is displayed and the ID:COM section is yellow or blue.
- If not, unplug the USB cord, close Odin and reinstall the drivers on your computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- If everything is working as expected, then from Odin, click on “PDA”.
- Pick the update file; don’t make any other changes on Odin – the Re-partition box must be unchecked.
- Click on “Start” and wait while the XXBLL3 OS is being flashed.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you can unplug and reboot your phone.
If Odin gets stuck:
- Close Odin.
- Disconnect the S3 from the computer.
- Force restart your phone.
- On the computer re-install the SGS3 drivers.
- Open Odin and connect your handset with the computer again.
- Resume the update procedure by following the steps from above.
If in the end you phone will get stuck in a boot loop:
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- For recovery mode press and hold Power Volume Up and OK buttons at the same time.
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, now your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9305 is running on the latest version of the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, the XXBLL3 firmware. Use the comments area from below and tell us how things worked for you; also share your thoughts and impressions related to the XXBLL3 software with us and with other users who might want to install the same on their Galaxy S3 devices.