Update Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with WanamLite Custom ROM
The WanamLite team has just released its Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 device, so we will be checking in how to install the same on your smartphone. If you are used with this type of operations, then you should know that the flashing method is similar with the one used for applying most of the custom ROMs, meaning that you will have to use a custom recovery image for updating the WanamLite firmware on the SGS3 handset. So, the tutorial will be easy to perform, though I still recommend you to read all the lines from below.
The WanamLite custom ROM was a platform extremely popular and used by the SGS2 model therefore, now it was about time to see it running on the S3 version too. Of course, the firmware comes with the latest Android version, the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 OS. By installing the same, you will be able to update your Galaxy S3 with a complex software that brings many features, which are being mentioned during the next list (take a look over the image from below). Also, for further info about the update and about its capabilities you can anytime check the source page from here.
The Jelly Bean Wanamlite firmware is being based on the latest official update released for the SGS3, the XXDLIB one, so your phone must be running the same for being able to complete the installation procedure. Also, you should know that the ROM will bring the same theme and looks as the stock firmware, therefore do not expect to see important changes when it comes to the background images and so on. The rest of the features that will be added into the system are being available above. Starting from now, we will be checking which the pre requisites are, so don’t skip the next lines as this is the most relevant part of the present step by step guide.
- In order to make things right, you must first root the SGS3 XXDLIB OS. A custom ROM can run only on an unchained system. You should be careful though as the warranty will get void; I recommend you to note down the stock ROM because a downgrade will be required if you will want to restore the warranty.
- Then, you must complete a backup for saving all the data which is being stored on your Galaxy S3. By applying the Jelly Bean Wanamlite update the data will be wiped out, so you will lose everything that is being saved on the phone internal storage memory.
- You should begin by backing up the current ROM; for this a custom recovery image must be installed on your smartphone.
- Next, you should take care of the text messages, the call logs, the internet settings, the EFS folder and the contacts. You have suitable tutorials for each of the mentioned data here on Android.gs; just search through our how to section for the same.
- After backing up the data and after gaining root access, get and install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery for your SGS3.
- Deactivate the antivirus tools that are running on your phone and on your computer (you must have access to a Windows running computer).
- Enable the USB debugging option from here: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- If on your handset there is less than 60% power left, take your time and charge the battery, or else the device will probably get turned off in the middle of the process.
As soon as you complete the above operations, you can safely go and apply the next steps. But, don’t perform the same if you own a similar device with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT I9300. The Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based WanamLite custom ROM will work only for the mentioned smartphone, so don’t use this firmware in order to update other handset as you can brick it.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with WanamLite Custom ROM
- The first thing you must do is to download the needed update file.
- You can get the file for free by checking the link from here.
- Save the update file on your computer.
- Connect the phone with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Select the downloaded package and then just drag and drop it (or copy paste) to the handset SD card.
- You can now unplug the USB cable and turn off your smartphone.
- You must enter the device in recovery mode.
- For that press and hold the Volume Up button and the Home key button while pressing on the Power one.
- Once the phone boots in recovery you can use its menu.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (this is why you need to backup the data as mentioned during the pre-requisites).
- Return to recovery: “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and install the same.
- Wait several minutes while the update is being flashed.
- Do not press anything else.
- In the end, return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++” and end the process by selecting “reboot system now”.
We are done for today; as you know there are many custom ROMs available for your Samsung Galaxy S3, so if you don’t like the Jelly Bean WanamLite firmware, or if you want to try something else too, then check our update SGS3 section. But, if you did apply the present update, then do tell us how things worked for you and how you find the new OS. Share your impressions with us and with other users and don’t forget to mention if there are bugs or things that aren’t working in the system.