Update Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with RootBox Custom ROM Firmware
A new version of the RootBox custom ROM firmware has just been made available by those of xda-developers and you can now update your Samsung Galaxy S3 with the same. Why to do that? Well, mainly because the update will bring the new Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS on your handset along with the latest AOKP features and capabilities. So, if that sounds good to you, then complete the present tutorial and learn how to update your SGS3 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, of course by flashing the RootBox firmware.
As mentioned, by installing this ROM you will be able to get the latest Android related features (AOKP based ones) and some extra ones too, as the software is being developed by third party devs. So, you are not dealing with an official release of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update for your Galaxy S3. Unfortunately there is no announcement coming from Samsung about a future OTA update, so the Root Box should be perfect for you. Anyway, you shouldn’t complete the steps from below without performing the pre requisites which are being detailed during the next few lines. But, for now, take a look over the capabilities that will be added into your phone’s system.
As usual and as you should always begin a complex operation like the present one, a backup must be performed. By appling the update, the SGS3 data will be wiped out; for avoiding the unpleasant situations, you must save all the personal info from your handset. Don’t bakup the data from the SD card, because the installation process will affect only the internal storage memory of your device. You can use the backup tips from the list below.
- The first to save is the current ROM, especially if we talk about the stock one. For that you should learn how to use the CWM recovery tool.
- Then, you might want to save the text messages; for that download SMS backup and restore apps.
- Also, you can download and use call log backup and restore apps for Android.
- Another data that must be saved might be the contacts list; just sync with Google and backup the same.
- Backup the EFS folder and use a computer or the SD card for saving other files.
With the data saved, you can safely take care of more important and risky operations. And why not to start with rooting the Samsung Galaxy S3. Use the mentioned link for a suitable how to guide and safely gain root access for your smartphone. Be aware as the warranty will get void and for restoring it you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM, or you will have to wait for the OTA update to be released by Samsung. Then, the root access will be revoked and the warranty restored. Anyway, also for being able to apply the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update you will have to download and install a custom recovery image on your S3. The same can be learned by using one of our tutorials.
Now, we will take care of the last section dedicated to the preparation things. This is the most relevant part of the tutorial, though you should have rooted and installed a custom recovery image by now. Also, don’t forget about the backup which is quite important. Well, let’s end the pre requisites as I know you want to start the update process.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer and have access to your S3 and to its USB cord.
- On both, PC and SGS3 you must deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection and also you should uninstall any other security tools.
- Charge the phone before starting, or else the device will get turned off in the middle of the tutorial.
- On your handset, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option.
- Make sure that you have at least 1GB free memory on the SD card.
- Apply the next steps only for updating the SGS3 with Jelly Bean 4.1.2, or else you can brick your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with RootBox Custom ROM Firmware
- On the first step you need to download the next files on your computer.
- Get the update file from here.
- Get the Google Apps package from here.
- Copy these files on your phone.
- For that you must previously connect the S3 with the computer via its USB cable.
- Then, first disconnect the handset from the computer and reboot it in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing the Volume Up button and the Home key button while pressing on the Power one.
- Next, from recovery, you must choose to wipe the data.
- For that select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu from recovery by taping on “+++go back+++”.
- Now select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash it. Then repeat the procedure for applying the Google Apps package.
- Don’t choose anything else, wait until the process ends.
- Finally, you need to select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well done guys, you have managed to install the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based RootBox custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S3 device. Now, your phone is running on the latest Android OS; furthermore it has been updated with many features as the ROM is being based on the AOKP firmware. Anyway, you should give it a try and see if you like the new software. If there are bugs or things that aren’t working properly, return here and share your impressions with us and with other users by using the comments area from below. That’s all for today, so stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips and tricks.