Even though it hasn’t been yet released, the first Samsung Galaxy S3 4G LTE official update has just been leaked thanks to those of SamMobile. The firmware is bringing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS to the S3, so starting from now the third party devs can start developing custom ROMs based on this platform. Anyway, you can easily bookmark this tutorial for using it as soon as you manage to get the new LTE SGS3 I9305 and update it to the latest Android system available. The proper step by step guide is below, so take a look.
This variant of the Jelly Bean update is being available for now only for the Australian (OPTUS) users of the SGS3 4G LTE, but as it is the official firmware, you will be able to manually install the same no matter the region you are in. All you have to do is to complete this manual operation which will take you through the installation procedure. So, it must be clear by now that you cannot OTA (Over the Air) receive the ROM. Don’t worry though as the present guide isn’t hard to handle as we will use Odin for the flashing process (more about this a little bit later).
Now, as you will install an official Android update on your Samsung Galaxy S3, there are some advantages that come with such method. First of all, you will not lose the warranty by completing this operation. Furthermore, if you will decide to get and flash a custom ROM firmware on your phone, then you will easily be able to downgrade to the stock ROM and restore the warranty, as this how to guide is all you need. Finally, you don’t have to root your handset in order to install the XXALI5 software on your smartphone. Gaining root access is being required only when you want to apply a beta firmware and not an official one.
All you need to do is to download Odin, on a Windows powered computer, and install the same. Then, you will use this dedicated tool for updating your LTE SGS3 to Jelly Bean OS. You have all the info needed on how to use Odin during the steps from below, so you have nothing to worry about. You should be done in just a couple of minutes, therefore don’t head to the steps, just read all the lines from the tutorial for now.
Before adventuring in performing something on your phone, you first must backup the data which is being saved on its internal storage memory. Also, this operation must be completed each time you decide to change something on your handset as the data might get corrupted or even worst wiped out. That’s why it’s more than recommended to backup the S3 LTE before updating it to Android 4.1.1. Some backup tips and other recommendations are being displayed below; just take a look and complete the list:
- If you want you can backup the current ROM, but only if you want to use a custom recovery image (preferable CWM recovery). In this way, if something wrong happens you can restore the old ROM that was running on your Galaxy S3 I9305.
- Then, you can download SMS backup and restore apps for saving the text messages.
- Download Call logs backup and restore tools.
- Learn how to sync with Google for saving the contacts.
- Use a computer for saving other files.
- Search through our how to section for more backup tips.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone so you can connect it with the computer.
- On the PC and on the device deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection (any other security tools too).
- The S3 must have enough battery life for staying alive during the update operation, so charge it first.
Now, as already stated, the XXALI5 firmware has been made available only for the Australian SGS3 LTE devices, but it can still be applied on any I9350 handsets as it is an official update. For this you will have to complete the steps from below. Anyway, don’t perform the same for similar smartphones as you can easily brick them.
How to Update Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 to Official Jelly Bean XXALI5 OS
- Download the update file from here.
- Also download Odin.
- Place the file on your computer.
- Extract the files.
- Install and run Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Enter in download mode.
- Download mode: press and hold Volume Down rocker key and Power button at the same time.
- Once in download mode, connect the S3 with the computer by using its USB cord.
- On Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, re-install the drivers on the PC and re-do the steps.
- Then, on Odin select “PDA”.
- Select the tar file which was downloaded and extracted before.
- Click on “Start” and don’t change anything else in Odin.
- Wait until the process ends.
- In the end the “pass” message should be displayed on Odin.
- You can now remove the USB cable and reboot your smartphone.
Congratulations, you have succeed in updating the Samsung Galaxy S3 4G LTE model number I9350 to the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean XXALI5 operating system. If you had problems while trying to complete the steps from above share the issues with us so that we can help you through. Also, stay close for further update, guides, news and Android related tips and tricks.