Even though we are still waiting for the Android 4.2.2 firmware to embrace the Galaxy S3 Mini, Samsung is still releasing Jelly Bean 4.1.2 updates. The latest OTA update, dubbed as XXAMG4, had just been launched for the S3 Mini I8190 and comes with several stability improvements and bug fixes. Besides that, there aren’t relevant improvements to mention here. Anyway, the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMG4 is stable and will smoothly run on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, so we do recommend you to flash the software on your device.
This is a manual update procedure that can be used for updating your S3 Mini to official Android 4.1.2. So, use the guidelines from below only if the OTA hasn’t been spotted yet, if the new XXAMG4 will not be coming to your region or if your phone is rooted or installed with a custom ROM firmware. For the situations mentioned above the OTA update can’t be received or installed, meaning that you will need to use a manual flashing procedure, just like the present one. Also, you should bookmark this page as it will be helpful in case you will want to downgrade your SGS3 Mini to stock Android JB 4.1.2 software for restoring the warranty or for applying a stable platform.
As you can already tell, this guide will work for both rooted and locked Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 handsets. So, as long as you own the I8190 variant of the mentioned device you can safely follow the present guidelines. Else, you should use our how to section for finding a suitable tutorial for your phone. In case you have previously rooted your device, now the root access will be revoked; this means that by flashing the official Android 4.2.2 OS, you will be able to restore the warranty of your S3 Mini (as you know, the warranty gets voided once you root, install a custom recovery image, flash a custom kernel, update with a custom ROM or overclock the CPU).
When updating Samsung branded handsets with official updates, Odin must be used. Odin is a dedicated program developed by Samsung and used especially on update operations. Unfortunately, Odin can be used only on Windows based devices, so for completing this guide a Windows powered computer or notebook must be used. Prepare your computer by deactivating its security protection whether we are talking about antivirus, antimalware programs or Firewall protection. Do the same for your S3 Mini, or else the update operation might be interrupted by the mentioned tools.
Well, you will have to connect your phone with the computer and for being able to do so the USB debugging option must be enabled on your device. You can enable this option by going to path “settings -> applications -> development”. Then, you should consider in plugin in the charger because the update operation might take a while; you can brick your S3 Mini if it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing process. Complete the above mentioned lines if you want to avoid the unpleasant situations.
In case you have important data and info saved on the internal storage of your smartphone, before stating the proper guide from below, apply a backup. Save the contacts list, market apps, text messages, call logs, EFS folder and anything else you might need because in rare situations a wipe must be performed (only if in the end your device gets stuck in a boot loop).
Remember that the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMG4 OS has been OTA released by Samsung for the Galaxy S3 Mini model number I8190. So, that’s why you should apply this step by step guide only if you have the mentioned smartphone and not a similar model of the same. This guide is compatible only with the S3 Mini I8190 and will probably brick any other Android based handset.
How to Update Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 to latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXAMG4 Firmware
- The S3 Mini drivers must be installed on the computer you are using. If not, you should use Samsung KIES (download the program) for getting the proper drivers.
- Then, of course you need to install Odin on your computer; first download the tool from here and then unzip the file on desktop.
- Finally, install and also run Odin on your PC.
- In the end, use the link from here for downloading the update file on your PC; unzip the update package on desktop.
- You now need to turn off your handset.
- Then, press power, home and volume down buttons at the same time, for a couple of seconds; download mode should be reached.
- With the phone booted in download mode and with Odin running on the PC connect the devices via USB cable.
- Now, Odin will recognize your S3 Mini.
- When that happens, the “added” message is displayed and the ID:COM section is turning yellow or blue.
- If not, you should try to resolve the problem by closing Odin, removing the USB cable and reinstalling the drivers on the computer.
- From Odin click on the option named “PDA”.
- Then, pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Flash the Android 4.1.2 XXAMG4 software on your Galaxy S3 Mini by clicking on “Start”.
- When the “pass” message will be displayed you will be done. Also, the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Unplug the USB cord and reboot your handset.
The first boot might take longer than usual; that’s normal, there is nothing wrong with your phone so don’t panic. But, if a boot loop is what you get, then you will have to enter recovery mode. Up next, by using recovery menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Finally, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
On the other hand, if Odin gets stuck while you are trying to complete the above explained steps, you need to close Odin, disconnect the phone from the computer, force restart your Galaxy S3 and reinstall the drivers on your PC. Then, you can try to apply the update procedure once more.
Good job, you have successfully applied our step by step guide; now your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 is running on latest and official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMG4 firmware. You should test the new ROM for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us. Also, stay close as during the following weeks Android 4.3 might embrace your S3 Mini – we will bring a suitable guide for you.