Update Galaxy S3 with NxTGen v6.0 Jelly Bean 4.1 Custom ROM
Those who want to improve the Samsung Galaxy S3 battery life can now update their smartphones with the latest Android 4.1 XXDLJ5 based custom ROM firmware, the NxTGen v6.0. The software is being suitable only with the S3 model number GT I9300 and as usual the platform was developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the following step by step guide. Therefore, if you want to learn more about this new update and if you want to install the NxTGen v6.0 Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM on your Galaxy S3, then go and check the next lines.
We will also check in which the pre requisites are, as this is a custom ROM, so you must first prepare your phone for the installation procedure. Because you are dealing with an unofficial software, you will not be able to OTA update your Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1, or use the KIES tool for the same, a manual procedure being what you must perform. Also, the XXDLJ5 based NxTGen custom ROM will have to access some internal files from your handset’s internal system, meaning that you will have to first unchain the OS, but we will discuss about this a little bit later.
As mentioned, the main reason for updating the SGS3 with the Jelly Bean powered NxTGen software is related to the battery power. This firmware will improve the battery life of your smartphone and will customize and optimize the internal system so that you can receive more power from your Galaxy S3. Therefore, this is the perfect way for improving the performances of your already high end device. The upgrade is a stable one and it will smoothly work on your handset. Also, a friendly user interface will be added, meaning that the classic Android interface will be replaced with a custom one. For more info related to the NxTGen software improvement that suits the Galaxy S3 model number GT I9300 can be found by checking our source page from here.
Now, it’s time to prepare your smartphone for the update process that will shortly follow. Take note that without completing the pre requisites you will not be able to install the Android 4.1 NxTGen v6.0 software on your Galaxy S3, or worst you can even end up in bricking your phone. The next list represents the most relevant section of this tutorial, so take your time and apply everything that is mentioned and explained there. In the end, you can safely head to the proper steps.
- The first to start with is the backup. This is a complex and risky procedure, so before applying the update on your S3, you should first backup the data.
- You can begin by saving the EFS.
- Then, concentrate on saving the contacts, messages and call logs.
- For any other file stored on your device use a computer or SD card, or search for more backup and restore guides through our how to section.
- Next, after the backup, the root follows. As mentioned, the update will have to access some internal files from your SGS3 in order to work properly therefore you must first gain root access. By doing this the warranty will get void, meaning that you have to be careful while trying to unchain the system. As a final note, the warranty can be restored if you choose to downgrade to the stock ROM, or of course, if you install an official update released by Samsung for your GT I9300.
- As soon as the root access is granted, go and install a custom recovery image on your phone (CWM recovery is what I recommend).
- After taking care of these operations, you must complete some general tasks.
- The first thing is to make sure that you can use a Windows running computer; on the same deactivate the security tools (do this for your smartphone too).
- On your device go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the last option (the USB debugging one).
- If the battery status of the S3 indicates that there is less than 60% power left, go and charge the battery first.
- Apply the next steps only if you want to update the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300 with the NxTGen v6.0 custom ROM because the software will work only for the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S3 with NxTGen v6.0 Jelly Bean 4.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing you must do is to download the update file.
- You can do this by using the download link from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Then, connect the S3 with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Place the downloaded file on the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off the handset.
- Reboot in recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button and the Home key together; while doing so press the Power button until the recovery mode is being displayed.
- From recovery first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (you should backup the data before you wipe the system).
- Return to recovery be selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the downloaded update file and flash it to your smartphone.
- Wait several minutes as the process might take a while.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
There you have it; the easiest way for updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with NxTGen v6.0 custom ROM firmware. Remember that this software is being recommended for those who want to improve the battery life, so after installing the OS, test it and see the results. Then, return here and by using the comments area from below share your impressions with us and with other users as well. Don’t forget to subscribe to us for receiving the latest Android related news and tutorials.