As you know the Jelly Bean OTA update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been made available for a while now, but that doesn’t mean that all the markets and devices had received the firmware yet. Fortunately for the Spain, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, and the United Kingdom Galaxy S3 users, the official and latest version of the Android Jelly Bean software, the 4.1.2 XXELLC OS was released, meaning that you can anytime install the same on your phone. Furthermore, if you haven’t OTA or by using KIES received the ROM, today I will show you how to manually update the Galaxy S3 to the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELLC firmware.
Of course, as you know, if you rather prefer to update your SGS3 with a customizable software, then you can check our “update Galaxy S3” section and use one of the custom ROMs described there (you will also find how to apply the update so don’t worry, you have everything you need to know explained during our step by step guides). But, as a recommendation, the best will be to first install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELLC OS on your Samsung Galaxy S3 for testing the latest version of the Android system and for removing the reported bugs and only then decide if a custom ROM is what you need for your smartphone, or the stock firmware is more suitable with your needs.
Now, as mentioned, the XXELLC update has been officially released for the Spain region, which also includes the Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, and UK markets. This means that you should OTA or by using KIES receive the update; if not you can use the present tutorial for learning how to manually update the Galaxy S3 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, all being presented during the following lines and steps. Because we are dealing with a manual procedure, you must first ensure that you know everything about this operation; read all the lines from this guide don’t head straight to the update procedure.
First of all, as this is the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware released for your Galaxy S3, by manually flashing the XXELLC ROM you will not void the warranty of your device. Furthermore, if your handset is currently running a custom ROM, then by completing this tutorial you will be able to regain the lost warranty and reset the flash counter. This aspect is also related to another fact: the root one. You don’t have to previously root the S3 for being able to apply the present update and if you do own a rooted phone, after completing the guide the root access will be revoked; so you will have to re-root the SGS3 by following a guide suitable with the new XXELLC software.
For being able to manually install the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS on your Galaxy S3 I9300, we will use Odin. This is a complex app that is being used especially for these types of operations so you have nothing to worry about. But, you do have to previously complete some pre requisites, which are being explained during the list from below.
- Using Odin will not wipe the data from your S3, but we do recommend you to backup the messages, call logs, market apps, internet settings, EFS and everything else before going any further; you can never be too sure when it comes to your personal info and that’s why a backup should be applied at this moment.
- You will need to use a Windows running computer, your phone and its USB cable.
- On the handset and on the computer first deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection; the security programs are usually interfering with the update operation.
- Also, charge the battery of your device or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone.
- Do apply the next steps only of you own the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number GT-I9300, as the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELLC software can be flashed only on the mentioned smartphone.
How to Manually Update Galaxy S3 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELLC OS
- Download and install Odin on your computer.
- Download and install KIES for getting the proper drivers for your device.
- From here download the update file on your computer.
- Extract the update file and on your computer open Odin.
- Turn off the Galaxy S3 and reboot in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Home, Power, and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Connect the handset with the computer via USB cord.
- Once the devices are connected, on Odin the “added” message should be displayed, and the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not re-install the drivers on the computer and redo the above steps.
- From Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; just click on “Start”.
- In the end, the “pass” messages should be displayed.
- Also, the phone will reboot meaning that you can finally unplug the USB cord as you are done.
Congratulation, you are done; that was all for today as you have successfully learned how to manually update the Samsung Galaxy S3 with the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXELLC OS. Remember that the firmware has been released on Spain, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, and United Kingdom and can be applied only for the I9300 version of the S3, so be careful in what you do. Do share your impressions and opinions with us and with other users by using the comments area from below and stay close for further step by step guides.