The Galaxy S3 I9300 users have received a new official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update, as the XXEMB5 OS was OTA released by Samsung this month. If you haven’t installed the software until now, or if you want to manually flash the same, then you can anytime use this tutorial which will show you how to easily apply the Android 4.1.2 XXEMB5 ROM on your Galaxy S3 smartphone. The guide can be completed only if you previously prepare some things, so read all the lines from below before starting the update operation.
The XXEMB5 firmware is the latest version of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean that was made available by Samsung for the Galaxy S3 I9300 devices, meaning that we are dealing with the stock OS and not with a custom ROM. Anyway, the update has been rolled out in limited markets only, therefore if you haven’t OTA or by using KIES received the same by now, or if you have a rooted smartphone, then you will have to manually install XXEMB5 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS on your Galaxy S3. So, this procedure is the official one, completing the steps from below leading to the same result as with the classic OTA operation.
Considering the up mentioned aspects here is what it should be clear for you: by performing this method you will manually install the XXEMB5 Jelly Bean ROM on your S3 and since this is the official update the warranty of your handset will not get void. Furthermore, you don’t have to have a rooted handset for being able to complete the next steps and more, if your device is currently rooted, the root access will be now revoked. Therefore, by updating your Galaxy S3 with the mentioned software you will be able to restore the warranty (in case it has been voided) and relock the internal system of your phone.
Of course, you will be able to re-root your S3, but only by following a guide that is suitable with the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXEMB5 OS (we will bring such a tutorial soon). Also, you can use a general root procedure, or a one-click root solution that is working for several Samsung branded devices. Now, for the present operation, Odin must be installed on your computer (a suitable download link will be offered during the proper steps), so you need to have access to a Windows powered PC, to your smartphone and to its USB cable.
Up next, before heading to the update procedure, you need to complete the pre requisites list, which is being presented below. Don’t skip this part as it is the most relevant one. Without taking care of the following tasks you will not be able to update your Galaxy S3 to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXEMB5 OS and you can also end up in bricking your phone while trying to update its system.
- As mentioned, make sure that you can use a Windows running computer, your handset and its USB cable.
- Then, it is recommended to backup the S3 data because a wipe might be necessarily (more details are being offered during the proper steps from below).
- If your device is rooted make sure you apply a Nandroid backup too; also save the internet setting and EFS folder (along with your contacts, messages, call logs, market apps and everything else).
- Remember that you don’t have to own a rooted phone for being able to complete this step by step guide.
- You do have to uninstall all the security options and programs from your computer and from the Galaxy S3.
- Furthermore, it is a good idea to charge the battery of your smartphone, or else it might get turned off while installing the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXEMB5 software.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Take note that this guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number GT I9300. Therefore following this tutorial for updating a different handset to official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXEMB5 firmware will brick your Android based device, so be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXEMB5 OS
- In order to properly use Odin and apply the update on your S3 you first have to install the drivers (of your phone) on your computer. To do that, download and install Samsung KIES on the PC. Skip this step if the drivers are already installed.
- Then, download and install Odin on your computer.
- Also, use this link and download the update file; the extract the same on your computer, preferable on Desktop.
- Turn off the S3 and reboot into download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Connect the smartphone with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Now, on Odin you should notice that the ID:COM section is yellow or blue and that the “added” message is displayed.
- If not, it means that you need to re-install the drivers on the computer; for that close Odin, unplug the USB cable, install the drivers by using Samsung KIES and then repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file from the Desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin, just click on “Start”.
- After a few minutes, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed, meaning that you are done.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
- If Odin gets stuck while the installation procedure is working you need to close the same, remove the USB cable, reinstall the drivers, force restart your device and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- Then, if in the end you will get a boot loop (or any other error messages), you will have to wipe the system of your S3. For that, reboot the phone into recovery mode (press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time) and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
That was the how to procedure that can be used by those who what to manually update their Samsung Galaxy S3 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXEMB5 OS. This is a minor OS improvement so don’t expect to see important new features and capabilities added. In fact, the XXEMB5 software has been designed to resolve the reported bugs and issues from the previous stock version of Jelly Bean. Therefore, test the firmware and share with us your impressions and thoughts.