How to update Galaxy S3 with Official XXALE8 4.0.4 ICS Firmware
Thanks to those of xda-developers we now have the default version of the Android firmware that comes pre-installed on the Galaxy S3 handset. This means that you can start flashing custom ROMs or beta software in your phone’s system, as in case something wrong happens, or if you don’t like the new ROM, you can just follow this step by step guide for learning how to downgrade or update the S3 to the official ICS XXALE8 4.0.4 OS. So, it will be a good idea to check this tutorial and save the firmware, just for avoiding any kinds of unpleasant situations.
I know that the Galaxy S3 is maybe the most powerful smartphone available nowadays, with great specs and features, so probably you will be tempted to take full advantage of its capabilities. And in order to do so, you will have to gain root access over its system, unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery image, flash custom ROMs and so on. But all these operations are risky and can damage the phone’s internal system. Therefore, maybe you will have to downgrade the S3 to the stock firmware for re-storing the OS. At that moment you will find this procedure more than useful.
Furthermore, each time you decide to install tools that are not being officially released for your device, you will void its warranty. The only way possible for re-gaining the lost warranty is by updating the operating system to its official version, in this case, the XXALE8. In this way, the bootloader will be re-locked and the root access will be revoked and you will once more be able to safely use your Samsung Galaxy S3.
For succeeding, you will have to download the ROM (the link is being offered in the steps from below) and install it using Odin. Odin is a powerful app that comes with numerous features designed especially for giving a helping hand for those who are trying to root, update, downgrade or install a custom ROM on their smartphones. As you will see, the tool is having a user friendly interface, using it being more than intuitive. All you will have to do is to follow the steps and that’s it. Don’t do things by yourselves though as you can brick your beloved handset. Also, don’t apply this tutorial for similar devices because you can wreck them.
Before heading to the proper steps you should check the next lines. I have detailed the pre requisites, which are extremely important if you want to complete the guide properly. So, don’t skip this part and read all carefully.
- Backup the data, because it can be erased during the steps.
- For saving the SMS messages from your S3 you can use backup and restore apps for Android.
- The call logs can be also backed up by using some free distributed tools from the Google Play Store.
- You can choose to sync with Google for being able to save the contacts.
- Or, you can learn how to install a custom recovery image for making a full backup of the system.
- Use a computer or SD card for storing files like images or videos.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your phone (“Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”) so you can connect it with the computer.
- Check the battery status; it should display at least 70% power left. If not, use the charger.
- Uninstall the security tools from your computer and from your Galaxy S3.
So, that was all with the pre requisites. You can now head your attention toward more important aspects. You have the steps detailed below, go and read them. If you find the tutorial on your taste give it a try.
How to Update / Downgrade Galaxy S3 with Official XXALE8 4.0.4 ICS Firmware
- Download Odin.
- Download the firmware from here.
- Place both files on your computer and extract the same.
- Open Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it and enter in download mode.
- For download mode hold the Volume down Key and Center button while powering on.
- Connect the handset with the computer. Use the USB cord for that.
- As soon as you connect the device, on Odin the ID:COM section should turn yellow.
- If not, you should install the USB Drivers in your computer and then go to “Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings” and check the Samsung KIES option.
- On Odin click on “PDA” and select “CODE_I9300XXALE8_554452_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5” then on “Phone” and select “MODEM_I9300XXLE8_REV02_REV04_CL1145430.tar.md5” and finally select “CSC” and select “CSC_OJV_I9300OJVALE7_CL547448_REV00_user_low_noship.tar.md5”.
- Click on “Start”.
- Don’t press anything and wait until everything is done.
If you encounter force error during the procedure, you will have to enter in recovery mode and perform a full wipe of the system first. The recovery mode menu can be reached by pressing the Volume Up Key and Center button while rebooting. From the recovery menu choose “Wipe cache partition” and “Wipe data factory reset”. Then, re-do the steps from above.
That is all that you have to do for learning how to manually downgrade and update the Samsung Galaxy S3 to the official XXALE8 4.0.4 ICS Firmware. If you have questions or if you want more Android related tips, share the same with us during the comments area from below.