As you might probably know (if not read our recent news) the official AOKP build 3 custom ROM is available for download and new handsets were added to the supported list of devices with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S2 in the top. Therefore, you can now start and update your S3, or S2 to the latest Jelly Bean AOKP ROM, a suitable tutorial being explained during the following lines. The steps from below can be performed on both devices as the installation operation is the same; all you need to do is to download the update variant suitable for your smartphone and flash the same by completing the guide.
The AOKP build 3 brings the most stable version of the Jelly Bean update for your SGS3 and S2 as new features and capabilities were added to the system. Furthermore, the previous reported bugs and issues were removed, so you will be able to receive and enjoy an improved Android experience. According to those of AOKP, from the features introduced, we have to mention: SMS QuickReply, Stopwatch and Countdown in the Clock app (CM), Expert Calculator functions (Graph, Matrices, etc.) and IME Switcher & Vib / Ring toggle as NavRing target.
Even though we are talking about an official version of the update (build 3 of the AOKP update) you must be aware as you will not install an official OS on your Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S2. The present ROM is being developed by third party devs and not by Samsung, so it has nothing to do with the mentioned company. That’s why, you cannot OTA apply it and you must manually flash the same. Therefore you must complete this step by step guide which will take you through the update procedure. As stated the steps will be the same for both S3 and S2, the only thing that is different is the AOKP file which must be downloaded (suitable links are being displayed below).
Due to the aspects presented above, for being able to update your SGS3 and SGS2 to Jelly Bean, you must first gain root access for your devices. The AOKP custom ROM can be flashed only on a rooted handset with unchained system. So, use suitable guides for completing a root procedure. As always, when rooting, the warranty gets void; the only way possible for restoring the warranty is by downgrading to the stock ROM, when the factory restrictions will be reinstalled. The same can be achieved by updating with an official OS released by Samsung especially for your S3 or S2. Furthermore, you must get a custom recovery image (like CWM recovery) on your smartphone; the tool will be used for applying the upgrade file.
Also, due to the same reasons, before heading to the proper tutorial, it is more than recommended to backup the data. All of your personal info saved on your Galaxy S2 or S3 might get corrupted so if you will want to use it again after the AOKP ROM is successfully installed, you should backup the data. You can save almost everything from your smartphone starting from text messages, call logs, images, videos, contacts, market apps, calendar and ending with the current ROM. You can find numerous backup and restore tips here on Android.gs, so don’t hesitate and search for the same.
I will end the preparation tasks with the following list. It is essential to read and also ensure that all that is mentioned below is as explained. Else you will not be able to complete this guide. Also, do not apply this procedure for similar phones with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S2 as the steps from below can be performed only for the mentioned smartphones; else you can brick your handset and I know you don’t want that to happen.
- A Windows running computer will be required along with the phone USB cord.
- If you have installed security programs on your device or on your computer, deactivate them before starting to update with AOKP.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your handset.
- Charge the battery or make sure that there is at least 70% power left.
- Remember to root, install a custom recovery image and backup the data.
How to Update Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S2 to Official AOKP Build 3 Custom ROM
- The first to start with is to download the AOKP update file.
- For SGS3 download link is here.
- For SGS2 download link is here.
- Then, copy this file to your phone (use the USB cable and connect the device with the PC for this).
- When done, remove the cable and turn off the device.
- You must reboot it in recovery mode.
- For this press and hold Volume Up button and the Home key button while powering on.
- Next, from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- When the wipe is over, select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file which you have downloaded before.
- Don’t press anything else; just wait until it’s over.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
So, now you know how to update the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S2 to official AOKP build 3 custom ROM firmware. If something went wrong during the installation operation, feel free and share the issues with us so that we can help you through. Also, test the ROM and share your impressions with us and with other users. Stay close for more how to guides and Android related tips.