Android 4.4.3 KitKat can be flashed on Samsung Galaxy S3 devices using this tutorial.
Check the entire tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your device with a custom ROM that permits you to test the latest version of Android 4.4.3 features. As you probably know, the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 will not even be updated to Android 4.4.2 and the only chance that you have to test KitKat is by flashing a custom ROM such as CM 11 Nightlies.
CyanogenMod works on releasing the best Android 4.4.3 KitKat experience for tons of devices across the world. If you want to learn more about their features and changes added then you should read their blog web page here.
Before starting the updating process you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
- check your device’s model number by opening Settings, then About Phone.
- if the I9300 model number is not listed, then you cannot use this tutorial to flash CM11 Nightly on your phone.
- do not attempt to install any file that you will find in this post on any other different Android device.
- for the installation of a custom ROM your Galaxy S3 device has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- enable USB Debugging for your device from Developer Options.
- that guide is for enabling USB Debugging for Galaxy S5, but you can use it on any other Samsung device.
- disregard the tutorial link if you already know how to enable Developer Options/ USB Debugging.
- when you will reach the first steps of the tutorial you will find two preparation steps: one will tell you to create a NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM, while the other tells you to Factory Reset the phone.
- do not skip those steps.
- if you’re planning on saving any data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other similar files then you can do it with Helium tool for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will not allow it to switch off while you’re flashing the new CM 11 Nightly Android 4.4.3 ROM.
- use this post only if you are an advanced Android user.
- do not blame us if you brick the device nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the entire tutorial and do not skip any steps.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post in order to learn how to successfully update your phone to the latest KitKat 4.4.3 CM 11 build.
Note that in case you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for extra help in comments and we will make sure to come up with viable solutions.
How to flash CM 11 Android 4.4.3 Nightlies for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the latest CM11 4.4.3 Nightly build from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to your computer and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- if you’ve downloaded the files directly to your phone then you can skip this step 3.
- Switch off your Galaxy S3 I9300 now.
- Next you will have to boot the device in Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP are supported by this guide.
- The first thing that you need to do is to create a complete NANDROID Backup of the already installed Galaxy S3 ROM:
- CWM: select the option that says ‘backup and restore’, set a filename and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Install, set a name for the backup and then swipe to confirm process.
- Now you can apply the full Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm process.
- Install the CM 11 Android 4.4.3 Nightly now on your Galaxy S3 I9300:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- TWRP: press Install button.
- find the CM 11 zip file in both instances and after that simply confirm the installation.
- When the new ROM is flashed successfully on your Galaxy S3 you should install Gapps zip, too.
- use the same actions as in step 8 in order to install the Gapps zip.
- After you manage to install all the new files you should reboot the smartphone in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process will take several minutes in order to load the whole CM 11 Nightly custom ROM.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your Galaxy S3.
If the install process fails at the first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
Make sure to read the entire post and don’t skip any steps as the process should be correctly completed if you follow closely all info above.
If you cannot complete installation, then you can choose to ask for extra help in comments. We will try to come up with a solution for any problems that you might encounter during install.