The AOKP Android 4.4.2 is now ready for the US Cellular Galaxy S4 smartphone. You can use the instructions that I’ve listed in this post and learn how to successfully update your device with this new custom KitKat build.
AOKP KitKat Nighlties are based on AOSP Android 4.4.2 OS. The AOKP team has integrated some of their own features in it as well as some other elements from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android. More info about the AOKP KitKat Nightly can be found on the developer website here.
Before starting the updating process you will need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- this tutorial works only with the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 model.
– do not attempt to update any other phones or tablets with the files that you will find in the tutorial, as that will result in a bricked device.
- your US Cellular Galaxy S4 device has to be rooted and running CWM or TWRP Recovery.
– make sure that the custom Recovery installed on your phone is updated to its latest build available.
– if the CWM or TWRP Recovery is not updated to the latest build, then you cannot flash any new KitKat ROMs.
- in the tutorial you will find the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset steps, do not skip them.
– NANDROID Backup creates a restore point for the installed ROM, so you will be able to use it in case the new AOKP KitKat ROM doesn’t install or you don’t like it.
– Factory Reset is required for a clean installation of AOKP KitKat ROM.
– Factory Reset wipes the data from system partition, while leaving the internal and external storage the same way these were before installing the new ROM.
- backup data from installed applications, SMS or any other type of data with Helium tool for Android – here.
- make sure to sync all Contacts info and People details before starting the installation.
– info here for those that don’t know how to sync such data.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- this guide is for more advanced users who want to tinker with their phone’s operating system.
– do not blame us in case you brick the US Cellular Galaxy S4 nor in case you lose any important type of data files.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial and you should be able to complete installation in under ten minutes.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that your phone will not power off in the middle of the installation process.
- since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this guide and learn how to successfully flash an Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
Remember that this new guide is not an official update from US Cellular nor Samsung, so you will only flash a Nightly custom ROM that might feature bugs and errors. Nightly builds are usually still WIP (work-in-progress) meaning that the developers are still testing the ROM. However, some Stable builds should not be very far away.
Flash AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly ROM For US Cellular Galaxy S4:
- Download the ROM from here.
– note that the build listed for download is the latest one appeared up until the date this article was created.
– check for new builds at aokp.co device web page.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Use the USB Cable and connect your device to your computer, then move both files to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied you can disconnect your phone from computer.
> do not unzip the transferred files.
- Power off your smartphone now and then boot it in CWM / TWRP Recovery.
– if you can’t boot Recovery Mode, then you can find help here.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then set a name for the file. Confirm.
– TWRP: Press backup, name the file and swipe to confirm.
- Apply Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe and then swipe to confirm.
> don’t skip this step, unless your device already sports an official AOKP KitKat Nightly build.
> if you skip the step and the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps.
- Now you can finally flash the new AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 ROM for your US Cellular Galaxy S4:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM file and confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, browse for the file, load it in TWRP. Swipe the blue button to confirm process.
> don’t press any buttons until the install is complete.
- Install Gapps zip now using the same actions as in step 7.
- When all files are flashed you can get back to the main custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process will take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to successfully update your US Cellular Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.2 using an official build from AOKP KitKat Nightly ROM.
If you fail to complete tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.