Update Galaxy S4 Active to Official XXUAMJ2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware
Galaxy S4 Active can now be updated with a new version of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS, as Samsung released the OTA XXUAMJ2 firmware. The update is currently available in limited markets only, but if you own the I9295 model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, then you can anytime manually flash the official XXUAMJ2 Android 4.4.2 software. In order to do so, you will have to use a dedicated step by step guide; in that matter I have developed the present tutorial, so don’t hesitate and use the guidelines from below.
Android 4.4.2 XXUAMJ2 firmware represents only a minor update for Galaxy S4 Active. But, after all it is an official software provided by Samsung, so the best will be to flash the same. Even though the firmware isn’t bringing notable improvements such as new features, apps or capabilities, you should install the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS on your S4 Active if you want to receive the latest stability updates. The XXUAMJ2 firmware is stable, works without lags or issues; also it is fast and optimized especially for your Android smartphone. As you can see, applying the software is not an option for you, especially if you want to run on a smooth Android system.
Now, it should be clear for you that Samsung released the XXUAMJ2 as an Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA update in limited markets for the Galaxy S4 Active model number I9295. Therefore, the update is official and it isn’t representing a custom ROM firmware. Also, by flashing the update manually these aspects will remain the same. Thus, by following this step by step guide you will apply the stock and official Android KitKat OS on your Android device. You have nothing to worry about, the update procedure is safe and you don’t have to use complex or risky apps for completing the same.
The tutorial is compatible with both rooted and unrooted Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. But, if your phone is already rooted, after completing the steps from below the root access will be revoked. Because of that, by using this update operation the warranty of your phone will not be void – moreover, you can actually restore the same – usually the warranty gets voided once unofficial operations are being performed (such as gaining root access, installing a custom recovery image, flashing a custom ROM and so on).
In fact, Odin will be used – you can learn how by using the guidelines from below. Odin is an official tool developed by Samsung and used especially on these types of operations. Also, Odin is compatible only with Samsung branded smartphones and tablets. Using Odin is quite easy as the program has a user friendly interface, while applying the update will only require one operation to perform. But, you will have more info related to these aspects during the proper step by step guide from below.
What you need to do though is a backup for saving the data which is there on the internal storage memory of your Galaxy S4 Active. Why? Well, in some cases, after using Odin for applying the XXUAMJ2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS your phone might get stuck in a boot loop; now if that happens you will have to wipe the system of your device, thus your data will get erased – I will explain how to perform the wipe during the troubleshooting section from below. So, it is more than recommended to make a full backup before going any further. The best will be to use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play – don’t worry the apps are free distributed one.
On the other hand, this is a manual update procedure. Because of that, a computer based on Windows, your Galaxy S4 Active and your phone’s USB cable must be near you. Of course a connection between your computer and device will have to be established. Due to same reason you need to enable USB Debugging option on your handset. In order to do so you need to go to “menu – settings – developer options”. Furthermore, on both computer and smartphone you need to deactivate – only temporarily – the security protection. Do that because in some cases the antivirus and antimalware programs are interfering with the flashing operation.
Moreover, your device must have enough battery life, or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure. So, check the battery status; if there is less than 60% power left, before doing anything else, plug in the charger; else skip this step. Good; now remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active model number I9295; in fact Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUAMJ2 firmware has been released only for the mentioned device, so using the steps from below for updating a similar or different handset will probably make you brick your Android smartphone.
Update Galaxy S4 Active to Official XXUAMJ2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the required files on your computer.
- So, from here download the update file.
- Save the firmware on desktop.
- Download Odin and place the same on desktop.
- Unzip Odin and install the program on your computer.
- Then unzip the update file on the same folder as Odin.
- On your computer you then have to install the Galaxy S4 Active drivers. If the drivers are already flashed you can skip this step; else you can use Samsung KIES.
- Good, now on your computer run Odin.
- Also turn off your smartphone and wait a few seconds before heading to the next step.
- Enter your S4 Active in download mode.
- With the phone booted in download mode and with Odin launched on your PC, connect the devices by plugging in the USB cord.
- Once the connection established Odin will try to communicate with your device. If everything is working as expected on Odin the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn yellow or blue.
- If not, you will have to close Odin and unplug the USB cord. Then, reinstall the S4 Active drivers on your computer and repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin click on the “PA” option.
- You can now pick up the XXUAMJ2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware file.
- Do that and don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Then, click on “start”.
- The update process will take a couple of minutes; don’t press anything, just sit back and relax.
- The process will be over when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed; also the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Remove the USB cord and reboot your S4 Active as you are done.
As I have mentioned before, while using Odin you might encounter some issues. The first thing that might happen is related to your device; it might get stuck in a boot loop. If that happens, follow the next steps:
- Reboot your S4 Active in recovery mode.
- Then from recovery you need to select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Go back and select “wipe cache partition”.
- Once more go back to main menu of recovery.
- Pick “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Also, while using Odin, the program might get stuck. In that case do:
- Close Odin.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Force restart your smartphone.
- Reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- Reboot your device in download mode.
- Follow the steps from the proper update operation.
If you are experiencing any other issues, try to resolve the same by using a dedicated step by step guide – go here. Also, use the comments area from below for sharing your problems with us and with other users who might want to use our tutorial – don’t worry as we will assist you as soon as possible.
So, that is all for today. Now you know how to safely and manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active to official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUAMJ2 firmware. Stay close as further tutorials will be developed for your Android based smartphone.